Discourse on Method / Meditations on First…

Discourse on Method / Meditations on First Philosophy (1637)

by René Descartes, Rene Descartes, Rene Descartes, Rene Descartes, Rene Descartes1 more, Rene Descartes

Recently added bygarryjr, RWAbington, paulinafein, jasonpwalsh, Stella131, ckadams5, private library, victor8
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch, Norman Mailer
    A Spinoza Reader: The Ethics and Other Works by Benedictus de Spinoza (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Spinoza is another from the rationalist school of philiosophy, i.e., truth is not reached through sensory (Hume etc.) experience, but is reached through intellect/reason and deduction.
    New Essays on Human Understanding by G. W. Leibniz (Voracious_Reader)
    Voracious_Reader: Another rationalist.

It was worth reading this for the foundation it provides, but it was a bit chewy to me. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
Cogito ergo sum, ფილოსოფიაში ერთ-ერთი ყველაზე ცნობილი ფრაზა. რომელსაც ძნელია რაიმე დაუპირისპირო. დეკარტი საინტერესო პერსპექტივას ირჩევს, დაეჭვდეს ყველაფერში რასაც აღიქვამს და იცის, საწყის წერტილად აირჩიოს "ვაზროვნებ მაშასადამე ვარსებობ" მაგრამ რაც შეეხება დანარჩენს, მაგალითად ღმერთის არსებობის დამტკიცებას ანსელმ კენტერბერისეული ონტოლოგიური არგუმენტით, ჩემი აზრით ძალიან სუსტია და უაზრო.
დეკარტი ასევე საფუძველს უდებს გონების და სხეულის დუალიზმს, რომელსაც დღეს ასე ებღაუჭებიან თანამედროვე რელიგიები და რომელსაც აგრეთვე პრაქტიკულად არ აქვს მხარდაჭერა თანამედროვე მეცნიერებაში. საინტერესოა თავად დეკარტი რას იტყოდა, ამ ახალი პერსპექტივიდან რაც თანამედროვე ნეირომეცნიერებამ მოიტანა. ( )
  Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
Pretty repetitive after a while. Doubt. God exists. I got it, I got it. ( )
  reganrule | Feb 22, 2016 |
Since Descartes is one of the most famous modern philosophers, it was interesting to see how blatantly illogical most of his argument is. When I say most, I'm talking about everything that comes after, "I think, therefore I am." Quite accessible though, as far as philosophy goes. ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |
These two works by Descartes (1596–1650) are historically taken as the foundation of modern philosophy. Why? Mostly because the bumbling autobiographical self doubt expressed in the famous "cogito" inspired such thinkers as Spinoza, Locke and Leibniz to refute him.

René Descartes was born in La Haye en Touraine, France in 1596. While some call him the father of modern philosophy, he considered himself a mathematician. We owe a debt to him for clearly showing that abstract numbers reflect actual reality: The algebra, not the entrails of chickens or the relics of saints, can be relied upon.

As Descartes got older, his interests turned from science to religion. He was disturbed that the church persecuted Galileo for his scientific theories, and he knew some of his own theories were akin to heresy.

Discourse on Method (1637) was Descartes' attempt to avoid persecution. He tries to show that doubt is part of the method, the ignition of the process of scientific inquiry. He urges men to study themselves and shows how to do it. In this work, Descartes admits using doubt to develop conclusions. He begins to doubt everything about his life, even the fact of his own existence. As he becomes aware of his own process of thinking, he realizes it is proof of his existence: "I think, therefore I am."

In this surprisingly autobiographical work, Descartes vows to shun fame and fortune to seek truth and knowledge. ( )
  keylawk | Jan 1, 2013 |

René Descartesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Descartes, Renemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Good sense is the most evenly shared thing in the world, for each of us thinks he is so well endowed with it that even those who are the hardest to please in all other respects are not in the habit of wanting more than they have.

Need a postulate.
"I think, therefore I am." Good.
But where to from here?

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872204200, Paperback)

This new edition contains Donald Cress's completely revised translation of the Meditations (from the corrected Latin edition) and recent corrections to Discourse on Method, bringing this version even closer to Descartes's original, while maintaining the clear and accessible style of a classic teaching edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:52 -0400)

A philosophical and mathematical treatise.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300067739, 0300067720

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,696,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible