Whisker of Evil (2004)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

A mysterious death in a Virginia farm town has the locals scratching their heads--while frisky feline Mrs. Murphy and her friends, fat-cat Pewter and corgi Tee Tucker, uncover clues as they curl their way around a cold-blooded killer. This balmy summer in Crozet, Virginia, postmistress Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen has a lot to think about. Things have been pretty cozy between her and her ex-husband, Fair, and her beloved old post office is in danger of being replaced with a modern building--and modern rules. Harry's thoughtful contemplation is shattered the day she stumbles over a dead body near Potlicker Creek. Barry Monteith, the handsome local horse breeder, has been savagely murdered. A true ladies' man, Barry was known to have left a string of broken hearts behind him. But could a spurned lover be responsible for his untimely demise? The plot only thickens when an autopsy reveals that Barry was infected with rabies weeks before he was killed. As usual, Harry can't resist doing a little digging--with Mrs. Murphy close by to warn of approaching danger. Harry makes a remarkable discovery in the creek--the class ring of Mary Pat Reines, a local woman who disappeared thirty years earlier along with her prized thoroughbred stallion. Like Barry, Mary Pat was a successful horse breede--and now all of Crozet is wondering if the two cases are linked. As the police struggle with the evidence, the pressure gets hotter than a June afternoon--especially when another person is found dead of less-than-natural causes. As usual, Mrs. Murphy and her crew are the first to sniff out the truth. But if they don't find a way to help Harry piece together the puzzle, she could become the killer's next target--and even Mrs. Murphy's slinkiest moves won't be able to save her.… (more)

Good book and really liked the interesting parts about horse breeding and other agricultural things. I wondered about the murderer before Harry pointed him out. It does get confusing at first because some of the animals have people names and some of the people seem to have animal names. But overall this is a good entertaining book if you like animals. ( )
  LilQuebe | Feb 10, 2020 |
I love cozy mysteries. They are my guilty pleasure and Mrs. Murphy are my favorites. ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Enjoyed this read. Tight plot, good characters and the pace was right. You did get a hint of who might have done it, or rather I had a suspicion but couldn't quite put my finger on it till it was revealed. Felt is was a good use of my reading time and I wanted to get back to it each time I put it down. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
This is the only book in the series that I have read. I liked the fact that I didn't feel lost in the book; characters and relationships were explained from previous books, but without so much detail that I felt bogged down.

It was a pretty slow going. I enjoyed the animal chatting, but did not like the way that the book bolded and italicized the text that they spoke (making my eyes instantly jump to that text when I turned a page). The animals also seemed a bit arrogant.

I'm not really a mystery fan, so I'm not shocked that I didn't appreciate this book that much. I read it for a book group that I run at the library. I likely won't pick up another for personal reading.0 ( )
1 vote kimreadthis | Apr 14, 2011 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I fugure it's because a didn't start with the first book of the series. Way too many charcaters to keep track of and all the horse talk became tiring. It was an okay read. ( )
1 vote r0ckcandy | Apr 9, 2009 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barry Monteith was still breathing when Harry found him.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,938,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible