Death of a Cad by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Cad (1987)

by M. C. Beaton, M. C. Beaton

At a celebration of Priscilla Halburton-Smythe's engagement, one guest in particular misbehaved. Boorish Captain Peter Bartlett managed to offend everyone--one person enough to kill him.

This was the first book from the Hamish Macbeth series for me and I will definitely read more books from this series.
Hamish Macbeth is a policeman in Lochdubh and in love with Pricilla Halburton-Smythe. Unfortunately, she came back from London to her parents' house to celebrate her engagement. It goes without saying that everything does not go smoothly. One of the guests, rather an unpleasant contemporary, is found dead. Macbeth is sure that it was murder and not an accident. However, his superiors want to be good with the notables of the region and therefore declare death as suicide. Macbeth can not resist and investigates on his own. Only when a second murder happens, he is taken seriously.
This is a funny cozy mystery. ( )
  Ameise1 | Sep 22, 2019 |
Priscilla Halburton-Smythe brings her fiancé home to Lochdubh to meet her family. Her parents are delighted she has finally decided to marry, so they throw her an engagement party.

Captain Bartlett, a boorish man and a guest of the Halburton-Smythes, is found murdered. Considering he isn't liked by many, there aren't many tears shed over him. But there is the mystery of who did it, why and will they strike again.

Hamish Macbeth is the local constable whose jurisdiction this happens in. He is madly in love with Priscilla, but she thinks of him as a good friend; he isn't considered to be in her social class according to her parents. It is up to him to solve the murder and soothe ruffled feathers of the aristocracy he has to deal with, along with keeping his feelings for Priscilla in check.

Detective Chief Inspector Blair, Hamish's superior, shows up to take over the case. Between Blair and Priscilla's parents the decision is accidental shooting. Hamish sees too many things that say else-wise. Rather than buck Blair, Hamish does his own detecting and makes some interesting discoveries.

This is a series in the English countryside cozy. There are a good selection of characters and threads to trace down to figure out the solution. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Aug 10, 2019 |
This is the second in the Hamish Macbeth series. Priscilla Halburton-Smythe takes her London playwright fiancee, Henry Withering home to Lochdubh. Her parents are thrilled and throw a party and invite people who want to meet the famous man. Unfortunatley, Constable Hamish Macbeth is in love with her and is disappointed in her choice. When the cad, Captain Bartlett, one of the guests at Priscilla's engagement party, turns up dead shot while on a grouse hunt, the investigation initially is determined an accident by the out of town inspector. Hamish intervenes and proves it was a murder, but not who did it. The rich and snooty guests, the women who all share Bartlett's bed and even the fiancee all have motive and opportunity to have killed the Captain. Hamish must smooth ruffled feathers as he investigates the case. When the culprit strikes again, Hamish is immersed in the solving of the case while trying to court Priscilla and keep her from marrying Henry to mollify her parents. A fun read, but ending wraps up a bit too quickly for my taste. I will try the next one in the series to see if I am any more satisfied before I give up on Hamish Macbeth. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Skip Death of a Gossip and go straight to Death of a Cad. Much better character development in Cad made a much more interesting read. I've requested the next two in the series already just on the strength of this showing, whereas Gossip had been a trudge for me and there was little to draw me along, so it took a while to get to the second book. But now I think I'm in for the whole backlist. ( )
  mrsmarch | Nov 28, 2018 |
Too many characters referred to by several names. It wasn't a good time for a book like this. Gave up for now. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |

M. C. Beatonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beaton, M. C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mark Sutherland-Fisher of Dingwall
Geoffrey Wilkinson of Dingwll
Charlie and Margaret Macleod of Lairg
Iain Mackay and Biddy Macleod of Torgormack
Henry Withering, playwright, slumped down in the passenger seat of the station wagon after another bleak look out at the forbidding landscape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,995,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible