Q Is for Quarry by Sue Grafton

Q Is for Quarry (2002)

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (17)

Back in 1969, a lot of young people were hitting the road and disappearing. More than one of them wound up dead, including the girl in daisy patterned pants who was found in the quarry off Highway 1 in Lompoc, the victim of multiple stab wounds.

English (51)  Spanish (1)  All languages (52)
Acquired this book Oct 27, 2017. Read again starting May 16/19 and finished July 16/19. Her books can be read in one seating but finding the time is the challenge. As always, a great read. Never a dull moment. I never tire of Kinsey Millhone, the main character in Sue Grafton's books. She is an independent young woman, self-employed, doing what she loves to do and is good at it. As a private investigator, she is a minority in her field. If you enjoy suspense, this book and series are for you. ( )
  DocWalt10 | Oct 12, 2019 |
I loved this one. I loved the cold case. I loved the interaction between Kinsey, Dolan and Stacey. You really get some insight and can see just how much more comfortable Kinsey is with people older than her versus closer to her own age. The other good thing in this one is how great the older characters are written. They are active, engaged, coherent, ornery and just in general not just cranky old people.

The cold case is especially engaging and I loved it. The story leads Kinsey almost all the way to Arizona and Kinsey really shows us her ability to use multiple avenues of inquiry to try and find and answer. She and Dolan/Oliphant come at this case from many angles trying to get just one sliver of information to bring the cold case to an end.

I really appreciated that Kinsey was working for Lt. Dolan in this one – you could tell he came to her because he truly respects her and knows she is good at her job. Stacey Oliphant is another old geezer that I just fell in love with like Henry. He is so adorable and intelligent – what a great addition to the story.

I loved how at the end of the book the author explains the case that was her inspiration for this one and gives the reader some insight into how her story came together. This was definitely one of my favorites in the series.
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
Team Dolan works surprisingly well together.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Dolan brings Kinsey a cold case -- an 18-year-old case of homicide for an unidentified Jane Doe.
WHAT I LIKED:
The plot device Kinsey working with Dolan while helping out a retired old-timer who was one of the original detectives on the case is flat out awesome. Kind of like the series Cold Case that was on TV a few years after the book was published. And the teamwork of three of them is a nice twist on the traditional "go it alone" storylines of most of Kinsey's cases. As with some of the previous stories, she ends up in a small town where everyone knows everyone and the motives are all potentially interconnected. Finally, while there is some drama with Kinsey's extended family, for once it ends up being relatively positive overall.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Dolan and Stacey bicker like an old married couple, and it gets tedious. The story is also about 30% longer than most of the novels, and it does drag in a few places.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 15, 2019 |
Grafton's books are the perfect thing to listen to while running errands. I just keep ordering the CDs from my library, and about the time I finish with one the next one arrives.
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
The plot for this novel was inspired by real murder in Santa Barbara, California. The body of a young woman was discovered in a quarry near Lompoc, CA. The victim was never identified and thus her killer never found. Grafton heard about the case and using many of the details learned from the detectives and police officers who had worked it created the plot of this novel.

In it Kinsey joins forces with two retired detectives one being Con Dolan, her police contact in many of the previous novels to reopen the cold case of an unidentified teenage murder victim. Starting with little, the three investigators track down clue after clue while eating a lot of junk food which is something Kinsey is known for. Eventually they identify the girl and then close in on several potential individuals who could be the killer.

Through Grafton's and the police officers' who had originally worked the case efforts, the real victim was exhumed and her skeleton given to a facial recognition artist who create a portrait of what the girl may have looked like. It is included in the back of the book in hopes that some reader may recognize her and bring closure for her family. ( )
  lamour | Sep 24, 2018 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED TO
Bill Turner and Deborah Linden
Bob and Nancy Failing
and
Susan and Gary Gulbransen.
Thank you for making this one possible.
It was Wednesday, the second week in April, and Santa Teresa was making a wanton display of herself.

Q is for Quarry is based on an unsolved homicide that occurred in 1969, and Grafton's interest in the case has generated renewed police efforts. During the past year, the body was exhumed and a nationally known forensic artist did the facial reconstruction that appears in the closing pages of Q is for Quarry. Both Grafton and the dedicated members of the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department are hoping the photograph will trigger memories that may lead to a positive identification.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,723,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible