The Kingless Land (2000)

by Ed Greenwood

Series: Band of Four (Book 1)

Aglirta is known as the Kingless Land--once prosperous and peaceful, it has now fallen into lawlessness, studded with feuding baronies engaged in a constant state of war. The only hope for peace lies in the legend of the Sleeping King: destined to rise and restore peace when the Dwaerindim stones are recovered. Lady Embra Silvertree is the sorceress daughter of a bellicose baron with an eye towards world domination. She has been imprisoned by her father who hopes to use her as a magical battery to fortify his castle. When a pair of good natured rogues attempt to steal one of her jewel encrusted gowns, they are quickly enlisted as allies to help her escape and, with the aid of a shape-shifting cleric, to seek out the Dwaerindim.… (more)

This was a decent epic fantasy. It started out reading like a Dungeons and Dragons manual. I later discovered that the author wrote D & D manuals, so that explains the similarity. The usual epic fantasy elements were there so it was fun to read. The story ended suddenly then went to an epilogue, which is why I didn't rate it higher. I am guessing this was to carry into the next book. I'll gladly read on to find out. ( )
  jguidry | Aug 25, 2020 |
While parts of the story were a tad disjointed, and seemed to have a lot of gods/magic driven events rather than character driven, it was a well told tale to set the stage for the rest of the series. I hope. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
It reads like a Dungeons and Dragon adventure. This new land Mr. Greenwood created is called Asmarand. And this story takes place in the region of Aglirta where the King has been in a magical sleep for centuries, and Barons fight for power. This is the world our band of heroes is formed in. The band consists of The Four, gruff warrior Hawkril, sly thief Craer, grumpy healer Sarasper and beautiful sorceress Lady Embra Silvertree. They have reckless adventures that seem to never end. And the battles are magical. Worth the read, but not sure I will continue the series unless the book just falls into my hands. ( )
1 vote mramos | Nov 7, 2007 |

Ed Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Band of Four (Book 1)
To Brian, for a dream shared
True friend, superb editor, fellow fan
The tavern sighed again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible