Morgan's Passing by Anne Tyler

Morgan's Passing (1980)

by Anne Tyler

7192013,085 (3.55)31

English (19)  Catalan (1)  All languages (20)
Not one of the best from Anne Tyler. I didn't need to check the publication date to tell it's not recent, because her latest books are the best. This one has the kookiest characters by far. Bonny was the character I related to and for whom I felt sympathy. She pretty much got a raw deal. ( )
  shesinplainview | Sep 29, 2016 |
No doubt well written but I kept waiting for something to happen. This odd character drifts through life making increasingly bad decisions. One review said he was a hero so I kept waiting for him to do something heroic. Interesting characters but kept waiting for something to happen. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Impressively written, but not for everyone. Tyler gives us almost no clues to the characters' inner lives except descriptions of their behaviors, which makes it difficult to stay interested in them long enough to figure out a way to appreciate them, to feel close enough to them to care.

I mean, in this one, two marriages are broken up, and in a manner seemingly almost whimsical and definitely impractical. And yet nobody seems upset or even conflicted - and the jacket comments praise the book as an heroic love story. Well, ok - in a way it is - but a reader has to be attentive to figure out how. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I disliked this book so much it put me off Anne Tyler for years. I still haven't found my way back to her. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
A children's puppet show stops rather dramatically. Morgan, a typical Tyler eccentric, gets involved. An enjoyable and interesting book. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
There used to be an Easter Fair at the Presbyterian church every year.

"An almost flawless story of love...Morgan emerges as a true hero."

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Morgan Gower works at Cullen's hardware store in north Baltimore. He has seven daughters and a warmhearted wife, but as he journeys into the gray area of middle age, he finds his household growing tedious. Then Morgan meets two lovely young newlyweds under some rather extreme circumstances--and all three discover that no one's heart is safe....

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

With his house in shambles, and his daughters growing up and leaving him, Morgan Gower needs new roles to play, new lives to enter into. Then comes his first dramatic encounter with Emily Meredith, and the start of an extraordinary obsession.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,246,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible