Modern Architecture: A Critical History (1980)

by Kenneth Frampton

"This acclaimed survey of modern architecture and its origins has become a classic since it first appeared in 1980. For the fourth edition Kenneth Frampton has added a major new chapter that explores the effects of globalization on architecture in recent years, the rise of the celebrity architect and the way in which practices worldwide have addressed such issues as sustainability and habitat. The bibliography has been updated and expanded, making this volume more complete and indispensable than ever."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Monograph Library - shelved at: B10
  HB-Library-159 | Oct 19, 2016 |
Originally published in 1980 when Frampton was 50 years old, this classic book is now in its fourth edition and remains an indispensable study of modern architecture, primarily for students. I got the book in architecture school when I used my electives to take history/theory classes, a couple of them devoted to modern architecture. At the time it was nice to get away from the textbook that was used in the survey of architectural history courses that were required, but I'll admit that Frampton is not always the easiest read. His grammar and language is not particularly difficult, but I find that his references are often obscure or based on a fine-toothed reading of architectural history or his own books, such that it can be laborious in getting through a chapter without just ignoring the references. It's like reading about something in the first chapter (A.W.N. Pugin) and confronting it again near the end of the book (re: Aldo Rossi) only to have forgotten the details of it by then. Perhaps I don't have a lock-box brain sufficient for Frampton (at least this Frampton book), but I still appreciate the depth of scholarship here, and I consult it when whatever I'm working on brings me around to architects included in his text. ( )
  archidose | Mar 30, 2015 |

This acclaimed survey of 20th-century architecture and its origins has become a classic since it first appeared in 1980. Now revised, enlarged and expanded, Kenneth Frampton brings the story up to date and adds an entirely new concluding chapter that focuses on four countries where individual talent and enlightened patronage have combined to produce a comprehensive and convincing architectural culture: Finland, France, Spain and Japan. The bibliography has also been reviewed and extended, making this volume more indispensable than ever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,961,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible