Local Woman Missing

by Mary Kubica

People don't just disappear without a trace ... Shelby Tebow is the first to go missing. Not long after, Meredith Dickey and her six-year-old daughter, Delilah, vanish just blocks away from where Shelby was last seen, striking fear into their once-peaceful community. Are these incidents connected? After an elusive search that yields more questions than answers, the case eventually goes cold. Now, eleven years later, Delilah shockingly returns. Everyone wants to know what happened to her, but no one is prepared for what they'll find ... In this smart and chilling thriller, master of suspense and New York Times bestselling author Mary Kubica takes domestic secrets to a whole new level, showing that some people will stop at nothing to keep the truth buried.… (more)

I shouldn't be surprised that I gave this book only 2 stars. When I looked on the list of her other books that I have read, I gave 2 stars to a couple of them and 3 stars to the other. I guess I just won't be reading any more of her books, no matter how much hype they get. ( )
  terran | Nov 25, 2022 |
This was another jumping timeline and switching POV book that was hard to follow initially but comes together in the end. The biggest issue was not the jumping around but the illogical decisions of our MCs. That usually drives me bonkers but, I have to say, after living through the last 18 months, I no longer believe people act logically to protect themselves and others at all. All the horror movies are completely right so this book gets a pass on the dithering idiotic MC behavior. That aside, the book did keep my interest in trying to decipher the mysteries so regardless of the suspension of disbelief, it was an entertaining read. ( )
  JediBookLover | Oct 29, 2022 |
PAST

Eleven years ago, Shelby Tybow, Meredith Dicky and her six-year-old daughter Delilah just vanished!

Late one night after putting her daughter to bed, Shelby Tybow goes for a run, or at least that is what she tells her husband. Despite her husband’s warning, “when people do dumb shit like this, they always wind up dead” and the late hour she goes! But with her husband working and her at home during the day taking care of their baby, this is the only time she can get out and meet up with the other man! She knows her husband is having an affair. How else would lipstick get on his collar! But she never makes it to the meeting spot! Was it her husband? Did he know about the affair? Or was it someone else?

As a mother, wife, doula and yoga instructor, Meredith Dicky lives a busy but happy life! That is, until everything goes horribly wrong. She has a secret! When the secrets add up, she knows she needs to tell her husband, but how do you tell someone you love something that may change the way they think about you? Before she can figure out the how, where, and when, she and Delilah are gone!

PRESENT

For the first time in 11 years, Delilah is free! She has finally escaped from the dark, wet, cold and smelly basement her captors have kept her in! She doesn’t remember much of her life before the basement, but she remembers her father’s face. But can she trust her own memories or what the kidnappers told her?

Is Shelby, Meredith and Delilah’s disappearances connected?

Well, you’ll just have to read the book to find out!

Have you ever put together a puzzle? You try to put the border together first, but as you go, sometimes you find pieces that go together for a part in the middle, so you put them together and go back to the border. As you go along, you get the complete picture of what the puzzle will be and where all the pieces link.

That's what this book was like: you get some foundation, then some odd and end pieces, then a few twists and then, just like flicking a light switch, it all falls into place! It's told from 3 different POV’s and with the way the timeline moves around the pace changes with it so it has a little bit of the slow burn and the fast paced! It's complex and full of twists and turns! Happy reading everyone!
  thepageladies | Oct 2, 2022 |
3.75⭐

The first chapter, or rather, the first part( it was 50 pages or so long) was hard to read. Not because it was boring but because it was traumatizing, disturbing. Never in my life did a book made want to throw up, I seriously considered dropping it( highly recommend checking TW, specially for child abuse).

The story is told in the different POVs and three different timelines. I can see how some people wouldn't like that because at first it was a bit confusing but once I got the picture it was actually exciting and addictive. I liked how the three stories came to form a single one at the end, like puzzle pieces.

The story kept my attention until the end where, granted, I didn't expect that but still it felt flat and way too rushed. I wanted tension, some action ( why not?), just something to steal my breath while reading and to shock the hell out of me but you never get all what you want at end.

All in all, it was pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed the guessing part and the mystery of it, my only complain is the ending. ( )
  souhailaa | May 20, 2022 |
What a tremendous thriller! So many twists and turns to keep the reader guessing! I highly recommend this book for mystery lovers!! ( )
  CandyH | May 12, 2022 |

Kubica, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Araya, Jennifer JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressley, BrittanyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiedemann, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilinsky, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Shelby Tebow is the first to go missing. Not long after, Meredith Dickey and her six-year-old daughter, Delilah, vanish just blocks away from where Shelby was last seen, striking fear into their once-peaceful community. Are these incidents connected? After an elusive search that yields more questions than answers, the case eventually goes cold. Now, eleven years later, Delilah shockingly returns. Everyone wants to know what happened to her, but no one is prepared for what they'll find. Mary Kubica takes domestic secrets to a whole new level, showing that some people will stop at nothing to keep the truth buried

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,191,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible