The Three Mothers: How the Mothers of Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X,…

by Anna Malaika Tubbs

'A fascinating exploration into the lives of three women ignored by history ... Eye-opening, engrossing' Brit Bennett, bestselling author of The Vanishing Half  In her groundbreaking debut, Anna Malaika Tubbs tells the incredible, moving story of three women who raised three world-changing men. Much has been written about Berdis Baldwin's son James, about Alberta King's son Martin Luther and Louise Little's son Malcolm. But virtually nothing has been said about the extraordinary women who raised them, each fighting their own battles, born into the beginning of the twentieth century and a deadly landscape of racial prejudice, Jim Crow, exploitation, unpoliced violence and open police vitriol. It was a society that would deny their sons' humanity from the beginning as it had denied theirs, but Berdis, Alberta and Louise were extraordinary women who instilled resilience, resistance and greatness in their sons. They would become mothers not just to three world-famous men but to the civil rights movement itself. These women represent a piece of history left untold and a celebration of Black motherhood long overdue.… (more)
BLM (124)

Fascinating subjects, well presented thesis. ( )
  libq | May 27, 2022 |
I really loved the scope and focus of this book, uplifting the lives of these three extraordinary women and putting their sons' lives into a greater context. So much of this book is simply breathtaking. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
This is a fabulous look at the women who birthed and raised three icons. The story of Malcolm X I was familiar with--but I had no idea he even had a mother. Talk about invisibility! The three women were in no way alike outside of their racial heritage, yet they were strongly influential in their sons' upbringing. The story of Malcolm's mother Berdis was heart wrenching. The social networkings of the United States were (are?) cruel and unjust. And Alberta King! I was shocked to hear that she was also assassinated in Ebenizer Baptist Church! One would think this fact would resurface each time a person is killed in their church.

I listened to this book from Audible.com. It sounded very much like a dissertation, and I believe Tubbs mentioned that this was the topic of her PhD work from either Oxford or Cambridge. This highlights the weakness of listening to--rather than the reading of--a book. I took one half star off from my ratings because of Tubbs accent: she swallows her "t's." I'm fairly sure this is a regional accent, but I found it annoying. Then I found my irritation annoying! ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 13, 2021 |
This is a nonfiction account of the three mothers behind 3 of the most pivotal figures who shaped African-American culture in America, fought for Civil Rights and the end of segregation. Berdis Baldwin, Alberta King, and Louise Little were all incredible in their own right. The author shares their stories of strength and grief with the tenderness only a fellow mother could have. She weaves her own experience into the book and issues a call for continued change so that women are not overlooked in their roles, particularly black women. I loved learning about their drastically different lives. From New York to the Midwest to the South, the author compares their childhoods, financial standing, family dynamics, and more to show the impact each world had on Malcolm X, James Baldwin, and Martin Luther King, Jr. and the men they became. ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 6, 2021 |
I am conflicted in a lot of ways by this book. I wanted to learn about the mothers of Malcolm X, Martin Luther King and James Baldwin who were so important in forming the characters and greatness of their exceptional sons. I did learn a lot and am grateful for that.. But, the book is one of grievance about how these women suffered persecution and lack of credit by American society over the years (The author author tell us about her own personal slights). In total, the author's agenda seems to overpower the achievements of these great women. ( )
  muddyboy | Apr 4, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,155,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible