Radar Girls

by Sara Ackerman

While swimming in the ocean, Daisy witnesses the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Being fired from her job when the valuable horse she has borrowed bolts, Daisy finds herself struggling to know what to do next as she tries to care for her mother. However, with more troops deployed the military needs workers to track radar and guide planes to safety, so Daisy joins the WARDs where she discovers that her aptitude for math serves her well. As the women work and live together, they bond together to help each other through large and small hurdles.
  4leschats | Jan 5, 2022 |
I enjoy reading about World War II, especially the roles played by women, so this book was right up my alley. I am especially interested in Pearl Harbor and have visited the historic site. Hawaii is one of my favorite spots, so the setting for this novel was intriguing to me from the start. I also think the author did a good job of highlighting one of the unsung roles of women in the war, maybe unknown to many. Readers who like historical fiction will find this to be an enjoyable selection.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Nov 13, 2021 |
As with Sara Ackerman's Red Sky over Hawaii, the history of Radar Girls is 1941. Hawaii. Pearl Harbor. WWII. The specific history is of the Women's Air Raid Defense (WARD). Within this history is the story of twenty-three year old Daisy Wilder in Waialua, O'ahu. For Daisy, this journey is also about finding friendship and acceptance and a sisterhood. Ultimately, the book does what I love about historical fiction. It teaches me something new and sends me off on a search to learn more about the actual history.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2021/08/radar-girls.html

Reviewed for NetGalley and the HTP Historical Fiction Summer 2021 blog tour. ( )
  njmom3 | Aug 8, 2021 |
4.5 Land Girls, Bomb Girls and now from Sara Ackerman, a new WWII novel - Radar Girls.
Radar Girls is based on reality. The Women's Air Raid Defense was created in the Hawaiian Islands following the attack on Pearl Harbor. Stations were formed on every island and the women staffing them were local, military wives and recruits from the mainland. This is a fascinating piece of history and Ackerman does a wonderful job bringing it alive.

Daisy Wilder is the protagonist in Ackerman's novel. A native islander, she has been making her living as a horse trainer when she is recruited for the WARDs. Having dropped out of school in grade ten, she's determined to prove to herself, and to the other women, that she can do this. She's very likable. I'm always looking forward to meeting the supporting cast in these WWII novels - having a team is (IMO), a mandatory element. Ackerman's supporting group of 'gals' is perfect. (There are some mean 'gals' too, but isn't there always?) I admit to having a soft spot for the bubbly Fluff. I think it's the 'can do' attitudes, the camaraderie of the women and their determination to help the war effort that really appeals to me. There's a romantic storyline as well for Daisy, but it doesn't overwhelm the work these trail blazing women are doing. Many of the other women also have their own matters of the heart.

There's lots of detail about how the radar actually worked. It seems so rudimentary compared to today's technology. But it worked and saved many lives. As well, her descriptions of the beaches had me wanting to visit Hawaii! The other settings are just as well drawn and I was able to easily imagine them.

I chose to listen to Radar Girls, especially after seeing that it was read by one of my favorite narrators - Cassandra Campbell. Her voice is quite pleasant to listen to - she has a smooth polished tone to her voice. Her speaking is well enunciated, easy to understand and the pacing is just right. She captures the female characters with different voices that perfectly suited each one. Daisy's voice was a little hesitant in the beginning, but as she builds her confidence it get stronger. The voice for Fluff was fun and sassy. She does male voices very well too, lowering the tone and cadence. The male voice for Daisy's love interest is believable. I've said it before and I'll say it again - listening to a book completely immerses me in the story. An excellent performance from Campbell.

Radar Girls is an excellent entry in the WWII fiction genre and one I would easily recommend! Well done Sara Ackerman! ( )
  Twink | Jul 30, 2021 |
If you like to read about WWll you will love this story. I loved that it all took place in Hawaii and told a little bit of what happened around Pearl Harbor. Then I love that it told about the women that were brought in to man the radar stations since most of the men were sent to fight. I think this was the first book I have read that took place in Hawaii during WWll. I loved the characters and how the women were first treated and then how everyone learned that the women were good at math and science. I laughed and cried while reading this story. I received a copy of this book from Harlequin for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 28, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,168,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible