Mister Monday by Garth Nix

Mister Monday (2003)

by Garth Nix

Series: Keys to the Kingdom (1)

Recently added byrena75, private library, za_warudo, MaiadosOureia, naree, Brenda_Zehnder

English (76)  German (1)  All languages (77)
Arthur is a boy in a new town facing his first day in a new school, but his what-to-worry-about priorities sort themselves quickly after Mister Monday pops in out of thin air and hands Arthur a minute hand-shaped key. Adventure and danger follow, and Arthur finds himself in The House, an unthinkably huge and rambling place that stands outside of time and place and where all things are recorded and filed away.
Think Harry Potter as an asthmatic muggle, plopped down into Spirited Away. So, yeah, pretty good. ( )
2 vote electrascaife | Mar 4, 2018 |
A really fun read. My favorite of the Keys to the Kingdom series. ( )
  Shadow494 | Feb 1, 2018 |
Fun idea ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
After suffering an asthma attack that nearly kills him, Arthur Penhaligon is saved by a mysterious man in a wheelchair named Mr. Monday that hands him a key -a key that saves his life, a key that puts him in danger. When an army of dog-faced “Fetchers” show up, Arthur knows he must go to the house, the one that only he can see, and unravel the mystery. But, once inside the house, things become much more complicated, and Mr. Monday wants his key back.

The novel starts off great. Fast-paced and captivating, the story gripped me and I wanted nothing more than to keep reading. Until Arthur got to the house. Then the story became incredibly confusing. Mr. Nix did a great job creating a completely different world inside the house, but it is more like a dark, Alice in Wonderland dream and difficult to follow. Several times, I had to go back and re-read something because I didn’t quite understand what Arthur was seeing. I found the story a little too dark and too confusing for my taste.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ( )
  AlbaArango | Nov 30, 2017 |
This book scares me. It makes me twitch. I've never done drugs but I feel like this book could be compared to a bad LSD trip.
Read at your own risk. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna and Thomas, and to all my family and friends
They had tried to destroy the Will, but that proved to be beyond their power.

Seven days. Seven keys. Seven virtues. Seven sins. One mysterious house is the doorway to a very mysterious world -- where one boy is about to venture and unlock a number of fantastical secrets. This is another thrilling, triumphantly imaginative series from Garth Nix, the best-selling author of The Seventh Tower, Sabriel, and Lirael.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439551234, Mass Market Paperback)

Best-selling author Garth Nix creates a magical world and an intriguing mystery in this new blockbuster series.

This is another thrilling, triumphantly imaginative series from Garth Nix, the best-selling author of THE SEVENTH TOWER, SABRIEL, and LIRAEL.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:24 -0400)

Arthur Penhaligon is supposed to die at a young age, but is saved by a key that is shaped like the minute hand of a clock. The key causes bizarre creatures to come from another realm, bringing with them a plague. A man named Mister Monday will stop at nothing to get the key back. Arthur goes to a mysterious house that only he can see, so that he can learn the truth about himself and the key.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,487,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible