The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music

by Dave Grohl

So, I've written a book. Having entertained the idea for years, and even offered a few questionable opportunities ("It's a piece of cake! Just do 4 hours of interviews, find someone else to write it, put your face on the cover, and voila!") I have decided to write these stories just as I have always done, in my own hand. The joy that I have felt from chronicling these tales is not unlike listening back to a song that I've recorded and can't wait to share with the world, or reading a primitive journal entry from a stained notebook, or even hearing my voice bounce between the Kiss posters on my wall as a child.  This certainly doesn't mean that I'm quitting my day job, but it does give me a place to shed a little light on what it's like to be a kid from Springfield, Virginia, walking through life while living out the crazy dreams I had as young musician. From hitting the road with Scream at 18 years old, to my time in Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, jamming with Iggy Pop or playing at the Academy Awards or dancing with AC/DC and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, drumming for Tom Petty or meeting Sir Paul McCartney at Royal Albert Hall, bedtime stories with Joan Jett or a chance meeting with Little Richard, to flying halfway around the world for one epic night with my daughters...the list goes on. I look forward to focusing the lens through which I see these memories a little sharper for you with much excitement. … (more)

My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Jun 14, 2022 |
I love Dave Grohl with all my heart, and listening to him read his book was an absolute gift. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
Grohl is a storyteller....some of his antidotes are amusing (some downright funny) and his prose is almost poetic. I throughly enjoyed, I now know who Dave Grohl is (I had heard of the Foo Fighters), unfortunately still not a fan of the music, but he seems like a very interesting guy. I did look up the video of Grohl breaking his leg, his description of what it felt like made me cringe, he brought the saying 'the show must go on' to a whole new level. And he said New Orleans is his favorite city in the world...I should add a star for that. ( )
  almin | Mar 26, 2022 |
I read this in two days. It was outstanding. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
I was sucked in from page one. He reads the audiobook himself and tells his stories with such passion. You’ll appreciate it more if you are a musician (I’m not), or a huge fan of his, (I only know half his work), but it’s fun regardless. His collection of memories are a strange and wonderful mix. There are rockstar concert mishaps and there are first crushes in a classic suburban neighborhood. It’s a bit flowery at times, but it’s easy to get lost in his childlike enthusiasm. ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 18, 2022 |
FOR VIRGINIA GROHL.

Without her, my stories would be very different.

FOR JORDYN BLUM.

You made my story so much more exciting and beautiful.

FOR VIOLET, HARPER, AND OPHELIA.

May each of your stories be as unique and as amazing as you are

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,995,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible