dismiss

The Moon-Spinners (1962)

by Mary Stewart

1,2421910,831 (3.99)76
Nicola Ferris, on leave from her job as a secretary in Athens, has been looking forward to a quiet week's holiday in Crete, enjoying the wild flowers and the company of her cousin Frances. But before she even reaches her destination Nicola stumbles on evidence of a murderous crime involving a young Englishman and a group of people tied together by blood and the bonds of greed. For the first time in her life Nicola meets a man and a situation she cannot deal with . . .… (more)

A classic Mary Stewart romantic thriller, with the romance part so low-key as to be almost invisible. Set in Crete in the 1960s, the narrator is a young woman called Nicola Ferris, who is spontaneous and big-hearted, and I liked her very much.

I skimmed the descriptive parts and found the fast action sequences a bit overwhelming, but enjoyed the main story and am delighted to have added this to my collection (found in a charity shop a few months ago).

Inevitably a bit dated, but the author clearly knew Greek culture and customs well, and if there are a few caricatures, they're not unrealistic ones. Recommended if you like this genre.

Full review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-moonspinners-by-mary-stewart.ht.... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 1, 2020 |
Not my favorite of Stewart's books. I just had a hard time getting into this one. ( )
  kendallone | Dec 3, 2019 |
This book was brand new to me and I read it quickly because I needed to know what happened. Set in Crete during the late 1950s or early 1960s, it featured the smart, capable Nicola as the heroine.

This is one of the better romantic suspense novels, with not just the suspense and romance, but lovely descriptions of Crete. There's more than a smattering of danger and several twists surprised me. Mary Stewart really does shine in this genre.

If you like romantic suspense, do try this book. I think you will enjoy it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Oct 21, 2018 |
The descriptive words are brilliant but not my fave of Mary Stewart sadly. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | Apr 11, 2018 |
A young woman arrives at a remote village in Crete a day ahead of schedule; she is not yet expected at the tiny just-opened hotel, and her travel companion won't arrive until tomorrow. This is a perfect set-up for a bit of suspenseful adventure, and that's what we get. Nikky hikes off the road into shepherd and windmill country, and what does she encounter but a gunshot Englishman and his knife-wielding Cretan guide hiding out in a hut. Does she run like crazy back to the village for help and safety? Nooooo....what kind of a story would that be? She insists on sticking around to help these suspicious characters, who could be up to damn near anything, none of it savory, and spends the night in the hut caring for the feverish injured hunk fellow while his companion strikes out for their boat to fetch supplies. The story continues in this incredibly unlikely fashion for around 200 pages, and it's just great Romantic fun, if you can hush up that bit of your brain that keeps saying "NO WAY" to all of it. Disney did grave damage to this story in its delightfully sanitized movie version, eliminating some characters, changing some of the good guys to bad guys, and turning the competent independent Nikky into Hayley Mills. What both book and movie have going for them is the breathtaking beauty of the Aegean...Mary Stewart regales us constantly with sea, sun, birds and flowers. I think that distracted me enough to allow me to buy into the whole escapade. That, and knowing that with Stewart things always work out in the end.
February 2017 ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Feb 13, 2017 |

Mary Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isichenko, PolinaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olson, SarahCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lightly this little herald flew aloft...,
Onward it flies...
Until it reach'd a splashing fountain's side
That, near a cavern's mouth, for ever pour'd
Unto the temperat air...
Keats: Endymion
For Kitty and Gerald Rainbow
It was the egret, flying out of the lemon grove, that started it.
The author is indebted to Mr. A. E. Gunther for permission to quote from his father's edition of THE GREEK HERBAL OF DIOSCORIDES.
Do not combine with the movie.

Young, beautiful, and adventurous Nicola Ferris loves her life as a secretary at the British Embassy on Greece. On leave from her job as a secretary in Athens, has been looking forward to a quiet week's holiday in the lush island of Crete, enjoying the wild flowers and the company of her cousin Frances. Then on her day off, her impulse led her on a little-used path into the foreboding White Mountains. She links up with two hiking companions who have inadvertently stumbled upon a scene of blood vengeance, that involving a young Englishman and a group of people tied together by blood and the bonds of greed.

For the first time in her life Nicola meets a man and a situation she cannot deal with... A man in hiding -- for reasons he could not explain. Warned to stay away, Nicola was unable to obey. And before she realized what she had uncovered, she found herself thrust into the midst of an alarming plot in which she would become the prey... And suddenly the life Nicola adores is in danger of coming to an abrupt, brutal, and terrifying end....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,922,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible