T Is for Trespass by Sue Grafton

T Is for Trespass

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (20)

Private investigator Kinsey Millhone searches for sociopath Solana Rojas, an identity she stole that gives her access to private caregiving jobs.

English (89)  Dutch (4)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (95)
Back in the dark ages, i.e. before Kindle, my spouse was my primary source of reading material (well, also the annual church-fair book table). She would go to the library and bring back an arm load of books, mostly mysteries of one kind and another. Then she'd hand off the better ones to me to read. So, over the years, we went through quite a few of Sue Grafton's offerings. I think I've read up through 'S', although without re-reading that particular book, I can't be sure. Anyway, some weird angel prompted me to see if I could get Sue Grafton in kindle format from the library. I could; and so, I decided to take up with 'T'.

This is pretty much classic private-eye detective fiction. Almost like Raymond Chandler, but with Kinsey Milhone, a woman, doing the detecting rather than Philip Marlowe. Kinsey is a bit of a loaner and has a few rough edges and neuroses. By the time one gets to 'T', the basic character outlines and settings are all pretty much familiar. So this was a bit like catching up with an old friend.

In this book, we have a psychopathic woman who works as a private duty nurse, particularly with the elderly. Her modus operandi is to make her elderly patients dependent upon her, to relieve them of any tangible assets she might be able to exchange for cash, to loot their bank accounts, and so forth, and then "relieve" them of their earthly burdens. Then, she would disappear back into the shadows, looking for her next mark. She often does this work by appropriating other people's identities for a time. Here, her mark is the crotchety old neighbor of Kinsey and her landlord Henry.

While all this is going on, Kinsey is also following her other jobs, serving summons to people and investigating an auto accident in which the insurance company that hired her thinks the plaintiffs actually caused the accident in question and have then exaggerated their medical woes in order to give themselves a nice pay day. She has to hunt down a possible witness, who when she finds him, prefers to recede back into the shadows himself.

So, we're not talking great literature here, naturally, but we do have a very engaging and a rather GoodRead.
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
A generally depressing descent from beginning to end.
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Kinsey and Henry's neighbour falls, and Kinsey helps his niece arrange a nurse to look after him. Not an easy task when he's as grumpy as all get out.
WHAT I LIKED:
Kinsey's background check doesn't turn up any red flags, but Kinsey's not entirely sure about the person, and how Gus is doing, particularly after the nurse moves in. Nor should she be, since the story also gives the woman's side of the story, and she's a sociopath. With a very large son. Meanwhile, Kinsey has a lovely car accident to over-investigate.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I found the storyline a bit repetitive from previous ones -- a scammer on the one hand, a fake accident situation on another. And the general elder abuse is depressing. Plus at the end, the finale is way over the top, reading more like an action movie than a Kinsey story.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 20, 2019 |
In this chronicle of another portion of Millhone' life, the private eye juggles four cases while also worrying about Henry Pitt's most recent relationship with a real estate agent. The primary case involves Henry's neighbour, Gus Vronsky, and his need for a care giver. After he scares a number of them off, Solana Rojas takes over tHe position. Soon Kinsey, Helnry, William and others become suspicious that she is taking financial advantage of Gus.

While this case gets more serious, Kinsey Is also trying to locate a witness to a minor traffic accident. This is to prove insurance fraud by one party to the accident. As well, she is also serving legal papers to a couple of other people who try to avoid her doing so.

Grafton' narratives mirror real life where people are juggling several issues at any one time as Kinsey is here- some of a personal nature while others are related to her job. ( )
  lamour | Jan 17, 2019 |
This series always acts as a pallet cleanser for me. I love Kinsey and though some books are better than others, they’re always entertaining. This story focuses on her elder neighbor Gus who hires a private nurse to care for him. The woman, Solana Rojas, turns out to be a con artist with a dangerous past. Kinsey finds herself going toe-to-toe with the clever woman. Despite the relatively simple story, the tension in this one was excellent. You find yourself frustrated alongside Kinsey as Solana stays one step ahead of her. ( )
  bookworm12 | Oct 16, 2018 |
This seemed like it was going to be a good novel, and there is much to commend it. However, Grafton seems unable to get through most of her novels without huge plot clunkers. In this case, when a false conservator is set up for an elderly man, Kinsey doers NOT contact the daughter of the man right away, even though she was a client. Why? The lame excuse is that the daughter had not believed Kinsey when she had said something was wrong.

Then, when she discovers the villain kills old people, she does not call her cop friends for help. This, I suppose, is to "heighten suspense." Cheap trick.

Still an exciting read, once you get past the gaffs.And the theme of elder abuse is an important one.

dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
Kinsey Millhone’s 20th case, which pits her against a creepy pair of abusers ... is one of her finest. ... Each of Kinsey’s cases stretches the private-eye formula in new ways. [T for Trespass], which reads like vintage Ruth Rendell, will bring shivers to every reader ...
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Sep 15, 2007)

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elizabeth Gastiger, Keven Frantz, and Barbara Toohey, with admiration and affection
Prologue: I don't want to think about the predators of this world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,902,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible