In Your Dreams (2004)

by Tom Holt

Series: J.W. Wells (2)

Ever been offered a promotion that seems too good to be true? You know - the sort they'd be insane to be offering to someone like you. The kind where you snap their arm off to accept, then wonder why all your long-serving colleagues look secretly relieved, as if they're off some strange and unpleasant hook ... It's the kind of trick that deeply sinister companies like J.W. Wells & Co. pull all the time. Especially with employees who are too busy mooning over the office intern to think about what they're getting into. And it's why, right about now, Paul Carpenter is wishing he'd paid much less attention to the gorgeous Melze, and rather more to a little bit of job description small-print referring to 'pest' control ...… (more)

Another entertaining book by Tom Holt, although I got a bit bogged down in the middle. This is the middle book in a trilogy, and wasn't quite as entertaining as the first one, but was still worth my time. I'll have to track down the third book to get a resolution to the story, although the reviews on amazon.com seem to think #3 isn't as good. So far Tom Holt seems like a hit-and-miss author. The other two books I've read by him, Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals, were alternately entertaining and terribly mediocre, in that order. However, something made me pick up "The Portable Door", and I'm glad I did. Holt seems to do better with a nebbishy Englishman for a protagonist, as opposed to Faust or the captain of The Flying Dutchman. I'm imagining that it's a sort of "write what you know" phenomenon. Anyways, I've got two other (non JW Wells trilogy) books by Holt waiting in the wings, so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out. He's just entertaining enough that I'll keep checking out his other writing, but he's no Terry Pratchett, not by a long shot. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
Follow the cold and naps. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Some great moments... ( )
  blueraven57 | Nov 26, 2017 |
I enjoyed the first in the series, but this story was not nearly as enjoyable. ( )
  gregandlarry | Apr 5, 2015 |
'What's come over you all of a sudden' she asked curiously. 'All the time I've known you, you've been this timid little wimp. Now you're talking about storming the enemy stronghold and killing the queen. Have you been on one of those self-assertiveness weekends or something?'

Paul Carpenter has now been working at J.W. Wells & Co. for nine months, and as part of his training he is moved to the Pest Control department, under Ricky Wurmtoter and Benny Shumway. His new role involves dealing with infestations of dragons, vampires, manticores and water nymphs, as well as hazardous trips to the Bank of the Dead to do the company's daily banking.

As well as the dangers of a hero's life in Pest Control, Paul also has woman troubles. His relationship with fellow trainee Sophie is over, his childhood friend Demelza is working on reception, Rosie the goblin (aka Mr Tanner's mother) fancies him and Mr Tanner is threatening to rip his head off if he encourages her, while the head of the Effective Magic department, Judith di Castel'Bianco, seems to have got it in for him for some reason.

But does Paul really know what is happening and how much danger he is in, or is it all going over his head? It would probably help if he got round to reading the office procedures manual and actually paid attention to the weird stuff rather than ignoring it whenever possible. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 22, 2011 |

Tom Holtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berryman, TamsinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

In memory of

JAMES HALE

1946-2003)

Sweet Charioteer
Twenty-five past five on a cold autumn Friday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,257,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible