James Bond 007: Colonel Sun by Robert…

James Bond 007: Colonel Sun (1968)

by Robert Markham

Written by Kingsley Amis under the pseudonym of Robert Markham & published six years after Flemming died, this a fast moving and very violent Bond outing. The Chinese plan to attack a conference on an island in the Mediterranean that is being organized by the Russians. The idea is that when the international community investigates the site, they will find the bodies of Jame Bond and his boss M in the debris and blame the British Secret Service for the attack.

The Russian general in charge of security refuses to believe his own agent and Bond that the attack is being planned. M is kidnapped and Bond is sent to get him back and to prevent the Chinese attack. ( )
  lamour | Apr 16, 2017 |
Sad to say, this was a major disappointment for me. I was really excited to read the first "sequel" to Ian Fleming's work, and right away, I was let down. 'M' is kidnapped and Bond has to rescue him. That really is the whole plot. There is an "evil" plot, but I really couldn't make heads or tails of it, and I REALLY didn't understand why it was so important to stop! Colonel Sun was a cool bad guy, but only during the last 30-40 pages. Before that, he was barely in the book at all! And 007 is so different than he was in Fleming's work! He seems unsure, almost nervous, and he seems to have much more of a conscious than he had previously. In this book, he's almost "007 Light"! Well, maybe I'm being too harsh, but this book really didn't do anything for me. Bleh. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 23, 2016 |
The very first continuation novel published four years after the death of Fleming. Initially I felt it was making good headway, with an interesting premise in the depiction of Bonds Enlgish idyll being shattered in the way that it is. Amis's narrative is different to Fleming and it's in the first few chapters that the similarity is the strongest. It does initially feel like a good paced Fleming thriller. Then Amis's rather more imaginative style takes over and whilst the action initially is thick and fast, this then lapses into an adventure story set in and around the Greek islands. Is that a problem? No, if that's what you're looking for. It doesn't have the bondian themes of luxury living, gourmet and gourmand flourishes to wet the appetite, and even a particularly memorable villain. This feels like half a story that Bond would otherwise go onto to finish at another location. The Bond girl and allies are equally as unmemorable. Interesting, but not as exciting as I'd like and not in my humble opinion, up to the latest offering from Horowitz. ( )
  aadyer | Dec 20, 2015 |
I'd say 2.5 stars, but I can't quite give it 3.

The plot is somewhat uninspired. Not bad, just typical Bond and nothing too intriguing in the story. Not bad and not a waste of time, though with the audio I did find my mind wandering on occasion. The villain, Colonel Sun, is fairly typical for an old-school Bond villain, but he's kinda cool. He has a couple of sidekick sultry gorgeous women and an interesting torture technique that made things a little interesting.

The Bond girl, Ariadne, was pretty good, but not a lot to write home about either as far as uniqueness.

The reader on the audio was kinda blah. Not horrible, but some of his accents and voices were annoying.

This was written in 1968, as the first of the non-Fleming novels published after his death. Not bad, but not particularly engaging. Really, this story would have probably been more interesting if there weren't already a bunch of similar Bond novels and films out there, even by 1968.

Perhaps the best part of this book was a glimpse into the Cold War at the time. It's interesting how it was perceived then, when you look back at how the world has changed so much over the years since.

Texas_Reaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
The first non Ian Flemming James Bond book. Not a bad effort but noticebly not Iam Flemming, ( )
  pgimmo | May 6, 2007 |
To the Memory of Ian Fleming
I guess I am remembered for few things in my life, through certainly, when my name is mentioned in an interview or newspaper article, it is usually preceded with 'Bond Girl.'
James Bond stood at the middle tees of the eighteenth on the Sunningdale New Course, enjoying the tranquil normality of a sunny English afternoon in early September.
"No," said Bond again. "We're prisoners. But let's enjoy our captivity when we can."
Robert Markham is a pseudonym of Kingsley Amis.

2nd Pan edition paperback, good

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:41 -0400)

Lunch at Scott's, a quiet game of golf, a routine social call on his chief M, convalescing in his Regency house in Berkshire - the life of secret agent James Bond has begun to fall into a pattern that threatens complacency...until the sunny afternoon when M is kidnapped and his house staff savagely murdered. The action ricochets across the globe to a volcanic Greek island where the glacial, malign Colonel Sun Liang-tan of the People's Liberation Army of China collaborates with an ex-nazi atrocity expert in a world-menacing conspiracy. Stripped of all professional aids, Bond faces unarmed the monstrous devices of Colonel Sun in a test that brings him to the verge of his physical endurance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,525,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible