They Also Serve by Mike Moscoe

They Also Serve

by Mike Moscoe

Series: Jump Universe (3)

1192155,970 (3.39)2
A WAR WITHIN   Colonel Ray Longknife and Marine Captain Mary Rodrigo were once enemies in an interstellar war. Now they're working together to keep the peace. But can they protect themselves from an enemy they can't even see?   When a bad space jump flings their starship thousands of light-years away from home, Longknife and Rodrigo make an amazing discovery: a planet inhabited by the descendants of a ship's crew--lost three hundred years earlier.   As acting ambassador, Longknife is eager to welcome the planet's population back into the fold of humanity. But Rodrigo is suspicious. She senses that something is wrong under the planet's veneer of peace and prosperity. And she's right....… (more)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer.  Title: They Also Serve  Series: Jump Universe  Author: Mike Moscoe  Rating: 3 of 5 Stars  Genre: SF  Pages: 357     Synopsis: Trouble and Crew get their ship sabotaged and in jumping end up at a Lost colony from the first lost jump ship. The world is being run, in the background, by an ancient supercomputer. Only problem is, it appears to have gone insane and is now splitting part into separate entries. So the crew must figure out a way home, solve the domestic squabbles their presence has created AND fight a super computer that wants to kill every human on the planet.   My Thoughts: I think I've had enough of Mike Moscoe/Shepherd. There has never been 1 big thing that has annoyed me, but just a series of little pinpricks and this book pushed me over the edge.   False guilt, internal melodrama, people acting like idiots for apparent reason, are among some of the reasons I won't continuing with this author. Another big one is characters who deny they are good at something so that others are forced to say so. I HATE it when people fish for compliments or pretend to be modest.   Au revoir Mike. You always rubbed me the wrong way and now I don't have to deal with it any more. Ahhh, it feels good.   " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is notable as an exception to the general rule that military SF authors seem to worship libertarian ideals. Instead, in this book our heroes encounter a planet that was settled three hundred years ago and has developed in complete isolation. The settlement was founded on strong libertarian principles, and when things start going wrong, the fragility of that foundation becomes clear. Indeed, they already have an urban/rural divide when Ray Longknife lands, as well as a capitalist family whose current underhanded, greedy leader will stop at nothing to maintain her wealth and monopoly.
Don't get me wrong; the book is by no stretch of the imagination a political screed...but it was nice to see those elements dropped in. It's a nice counterpoint to the books where The Free Market can fix everything.
Now to wait until February for the fourth book... ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |

Mike Moscoeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimando, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolsky, DianaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,915,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible