The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature (1997)

by David Suzuki, Amanda McConnell

The economy and global competitiveness are the bottom line for society and governments, or so says conventional wisdom. But what are the real needs that must be satisfied to live rich, fulfilling lives? This is the question David Suzuki explores in this wide-ranging study. Suzuki begins by presenting the concept of people as creatures of the Earth who depend on its gifts of air, water, soil, and sun energy. He shows how people are genetically programmed for the company of other species, and suffer enormously when we fail to live in harmony with them. And he analyzes those deep spiritual needs, rooted in nature, that are also a crucial component of a loving world. Drawing on his own experiences and those of others who have put their beliefs into action, "The Sacred Balance" is a powerful, passionate book with concrete suggestions for creating an ecologically sustainable, satisfying, and fair future by rediscovering and addressing humanity' s basic needs.… (more)

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
E. O. Wilson, author of The Diversity of Life, said of this book, "(It) is the most complete expression to date of an environmental ethic from one of the world's leading conservation writers, combining science, theology, poetry and philosophy to express a world view toward which the human species must shift in the twenty-first century. The Sacred Balance has a beautiful spirit."
  uufnn | Jan 26, 2015 |
Group D1
  gilsbooks | May 20, 2011 |
59.95
  mbugler | Mar 6, 2011 |
An acclaimed geneticist artfully explains the diverse web of life, our kinship with other species, and the crucial need of our time to make Nature the ultimate concern of society at large and for our personal lives. The modern scientific world view has created an alienation of the spirit, since now matter & spirit are considered completely separate things, when they once were considered as one. How to preserve the scientific method which has so greatly improved our understanding of how the world works, while restoring a sense of the spiritual?

A walk in the garden, for example, may be utterly subjective, but it is through total engagement with the relationships of plants, soil, sun, water, insects, and other garden features, perceived by eye, ear, and physical touch, that we gain an experience that "puts spirit back into the fingertips." Such direct experience in nature allows us to feel that we are whole beings, not merely minds trapped in some sort of bio-mechanical body, allowing us to engage in a true conversation with the Earth.

For the author this is only the beginning, however. He advocates achieving an ecological vision, understanding that a simple tree, for example, is far more than trunk, leaves, and roots, but includes the water that moves through it, the sunlight that sustains it, the earth and air that support it, the insects that fertilize it, the fungi that help it obtain nutrients, and so on. ( )
1 vote pansociety | Oct 15, 2006 |

David Suzukiprimary authorall editionscalculated
McConnell, Amandamain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to Kaoru and Setsu, my parents, who taught me to love nature and to respect my elders; Tamiko, Troy, Laura, Severn and Sarika, my children, who lifted my sight into the future; and Tara, my wife, partner and best friend, who showed me the meaning of love and commitment.
Suppose that 200,000 years ago, biologists from another galaxy searching for life forms in other parts of the universe had discovered Earth and parked their space vehicle above the Rift Valley in Africa.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,220,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible