HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Pen Pal

by J.T. Geissinger

221924,465 (3.9)None

No tags

How does one review/rate a story that wasn’t even put into the right genre?!
Literally it feels as though the romance groups were deeeeeply preyed on.
Cause let’s face it there was smut in this fair enough but it is the most cringe awkward bits I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading (I started skimming the sex scenes so don’t quote me on most of the middle to end of them cause I am NOT about the bunny prey lion sexy time no thank you 🥹)
Now there are triggers/content warning however you wanna label it and ones that should be disclosed before you go in, SOOO if you do not like spoilers this is the time your little eyeballs should go elsewhere. Shoo you’ve been warned so don’t cry in the comments if you kept reading.
⚠️ if you’re still here welcome to the content/trigger warning zone ⚠️
🛑 domestic violence- mostly mentioned and not major story line but once you’re in the 25 % left you really get the feeling the entire story was a shit show illusion
🛑 murder- apparently this story isn’t a pen pal prison boy love story
🛑 miscarriage- again this is one a lot of readers especially given how highly this happens to a lot of women it can be super hard for them to read and it’s bullshit not to at least have this in the fucking blurb. Be respectful to readers mental health.
-in my opinion how this happens to the character is played off like a huge joke it was tasteless and played off joking as the husbands mental disorder made it a laughing stalk of broccoli alien impregnated not going any further in detail but it’s cringe and I’m not happy about this.
🛑 consensual “non consensual” idk it’s a game of cat and mouse a lot of oh please no don’t do it , oh I’m gonna do it wether you like it or not spank spank. Now you know why I skimmed most of the sex scenes. If that’s you’re jam you do you boo but uh that’s literally almost alllll of their sex scenes can say they have 1 MAYYYYBEEE 2 where it’s like they wanted it from the get go and romantic
🛑 death/grieving/depression
🛑 cheating
🛑 not a happily ever after/ but is a happily ever after
Read at your own risk. If this was sold as paranormal thriller mystery I’d have zero problems with the legitimate storyline. BUT it was sold as a prison love note romance story.
⚠️ also another random tid bit that’s another spoiler zone so stop reading if you’re only here for the content spoilers.
The husband… while I was already guessing bu the first couple chapters him not to be dead or maybe he’s the ghost by the end you find out he’s literally off his rocker with schizophrenia… and I felt this whole thing was umm not reaaally handled well. It’s like oh my big bad at the end surprise he’s off his meds and killed them all cackles in the corner. Literally that’s the story we got. And while it’s a plausible story yes it sorta villianized an entire group with this mental illness that sheds a nasty light that I wasn’t totally ok with during the reading of this.
I know many are highly praising this book but I just 100% cannot rate or plug or recommend. It goes against a lot of moral things for me so this is my thoughts and feelings.
Before I get a billion ladies and gents screaming in comments or inbox that “you just don’t understand it’s fiction, it’s romance, the author can do what they want blah blah blah” while all this may be true then reread yalls statement take a good look at this and remember it SOMEONE CAN HAVE A OPINION THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS YOU AND YOU DONT HAVE TO FORCE THEM TO SHARE YOURS. Have a wonderful day ladies and gents 🥰
Till next time!
  HookxWendy | Sep 2, 2022 |

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,746,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible