The Cat Who Went into the Closet (1993)

by Lilian Jackson Braun

Series: The Cat Who... (15)

While sifting through closets of junk in the mansion they have rented, Qwilleran and his feline companions, Koko and Yum Yum, uncover a mystery involving the suicide of the former owner and the murder of a potato farmer.
Recently added byTwylabear, private library, jtntimytom, UnicornMoon, MilnerLibrary, LizChuck, Mike__M, rebxraylp

The Cat Who Went into the Closet

In the 15th Û_Cat Who‰Û_ book Qwill rents the Gage mansion in Pickax for the winter, feeling that the converted apple barn where he and the cats usually live will be too isolated when the ‰ÛÏbig snow‰Û sets in. The mansion‰Ûªs elderly but spry owner is Euphonia Gage, Junior Goodwinter‰Ûªs grandmother. She is now living it up at a high-end trailer park in Florida. While in residence in the mansion, Kato discovers that the closets are a treasure trove of interesting bits and pieces of the past. When the news comes that Euphonia has unexpectedly committed suicide, Kato‰Ûªs clues from the closet lead Qwill to suspect that something much more sinister happened to Euphonia.

This was probably not one of the stronger Cat Who books, but 15 books in I just enjoy hanging out in Pickax with these characters, I feel like I know them and I like hearing about what they all get up to: Arch and Mildred get married in a lovely ceremony on Christmas Eve. Junior and his wife have a baby. Qwill and Hixie put on a play about a historic fire in Pickax. We meet a cool old lady named Celia Robinson, who helps Qwill solve the mystery of Euphonia‰Ûªs death, and I‰Ûªm pretty sure she and her grandson become recurring characters.

Originally published: 1993

Body Count: Two Euphonia Gage (suspected suicide which turns out to be poison) and Gil Inchpot (bullet to the head).

Next Up: The Cat Who Came to Breakfast

Previous: The Cat Show Wasn't There
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
I love this series but this is one that stands out as one of my top favorites.

For those that are reading the series in order and have followed one of the relationships it's a special delight to "attend" Qwill's friend Arch and Mildred's wedding on Christmas Eve. The storyline itself actually begins prior to Halloween and continues through Christmas. Everyone knows how much Qwill enjoys his food so his descriptions of holiday dinners and treats bring joyous smiles. Not to be missed is Qwill's special part of the Pickax Christmas celebrations. There's also Qwill's new writing provision and acting in a one-man play highlighting the Great Fire of 1869 in Pickax. Qwill's performances are enjoyed by all ages in various community settings. In addition to holiday festivities there's a mystery to solve from afar. Genealogy of the family of Junior Goodwinter (Managing Editor of the Moose County Something newspaper) lends to solving what was first thought to be a suicide by everyone by Qwill. The apparent suicide took place in Florida but Qwill is still keen to use his investigative skills from afar and local clues in Pickax are being provided by Koko who is feverishly searching various closets in the old Gage mansion (Qwill's current home for the winter) to provide his vital assistance. There is also a wonderful addition of the use of a dog sled that becomes a highlight for helping Qwill on Christmas Eve in the midst of a ferocious snowstorm. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 9, 2019 |
Another enjoyable mystery. Qwill was a bit of a curmudgeon with kids. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 12, 2018 |
I liked it but not as well as I did the first one I had read, it was the 6th one I believe. This was the 15th book in the series and since I have only read the 6th book before this one because it was lent to me by a friend, I do not have all of them in the series to read. didn't read any of the others between the 6th book and the 15th it was a bit confusing for me. It's one of those series you have to reading order to really understand what is going on, but it's not so much so that you still can read them out of order and still be able to keep up with what's going on, but it helps to read them in order.

Qwill moves into the Gage mansion for the winter and thanks to Koko he unexpectedly finds himself questioning the death of the previous, Mrs. Gage and a local potato farmer that went missing and is later found shot. So he goes searching for the truth and what he finds is just down right conspiracy and fraud. Qwill has a hunch that Mrs. Gage's death is no accident so he enlist the help of her friend and neighbor and her grandson, Clayton to help find the evidence that Qwill needs to put away the Mrs. Gage's murder. The murders turn out to be the owners of the retirement home the she was living at. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
Qwill's moved into the old Gage mansion--and the cats are on a treasure hunt! The house's fifty closets are crammed with several generations of junk, and while Qwill investigates two recent deaths--those of the mansion's former occupant and a local potato farmer--Koko investigates the contents of the closets. Qwill and the cats are unearthing some suprising skeletons--and bringing long-buried secrets to light...
  christinejoseph | Feb 5, 2016 |
Dedicated to
Earl Bettinger,
the husband who...
The WPKX radio announcer hunched over the newsdesk in front of a dead microphone, anxiously fingering his script and waiting for the signal to go on the air.

Quill's moved into the old Gage mansion, and the cats are on a treasure hunt!

The house's 50 closets are crammed with several generations of junk, and while Qwill investigates two recent deaths, those of the mansion's former occupant and a local potato farmer, Koko investigates the contents of the closets.

Qwill and the cats are unearthing some surprising skeletons, and bringing long-buried secrets to light.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,439,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible