The Devil Finds Work by James Baldwin

The Devil Finds Work

by James Baldwin

Baldwin sheds the sort of startling light on well-known films that gives the same jolt to us white folk that Russo's "The Celluloid Closet" would give to us straight folk a few decades later. To watch "The Defiant Ones" through Baldwin's eyes is truly to see the problem of race relations in the United States. ( )
  klg19 | Jan 24, 2008 |
Great interpretations of such movies as "In the Heat of the Night," "The Grapes of Wrath," and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". He skewers the latter hilariously. I disagree with only his interpretation of "The Best Years of Our Lives," which I think is more subversive than it may have appeared to Baldwin. ( )
1 vote ostrom | Nov 27, 2007 |

James Baldwin At The Movies...  Provocative, timeless, brilliant.

Bette Davis's eyes, Joan Crawford's bitchy elegance, Stepin Fetchit's stereotype, Sidney Poitier's superhuman black man...  These are the movie stars and the qualities that influenced James Baldwin...  and now become part of his incisive look at racism in American movies.

Baldwin challenges the underlying assumptions in such films as In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and The Exorcist, offering us a vision of America's self-delusions and deceptions.  Here are our loves and hates, biases and cruelties, fears and ignorance reflected by the films that have entertained us and shaped our consciousness.  And here, too, is the stunning prose of a writer whose passion never diminished his struggle for equality, justice, and social change.

From The Birth of a Nation to The Exorcist--one of America's most important writers turns his critical eye to American film.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Nathaniel's great-grandfather, who is 100 years old, loves to tell stories from his past but seeks someone to join him with a new batch of stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible