The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967 (1997)

by Hunter S. Thompson

Other authors: Douglas Brinkley (Editor), William J. Kennedy (Foreword)

Series: The Fear and Loathing Letters (book 1)

The private and most intimate correspondence of one of America's most influential and incisive journalists - Hunter S. Thompson. In letters to a Who's Who of luminaries from Norman Mailer to Charles Kuralt, Tom Wolfe to Lyndon Johnson, William Styron to Joan Baez - not to mention his mother, the NRA, and a chain of newspaper editors - Thompson vividly catches the tenor of the times in 1960s America and channels it all through his own razor-sharp perspective. Passionate in their admiration, merciless in their scorn, and never anything less than fascinating, the dispatches of The Proud Highway offer an unprecedented and penetrating gaze into the evolution of the most outrageous raconteur/provocateur ever to assault a typewriter.… (more)

Good book.
  TheBigV | May 9, 2021 |
I think I finished? I may have lost it... ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Totally agree NateJordon. I read a majority of this book during my breaks at work and I think people around me thought I was crazy because of how often I would laugh out loud at his writings. It was pure Hunter, same style of writing as his journalism, but with a more personal feel and added insights to what was going on in his life. I also felt like it took forever to finish, but I tried to view it as a marathon, not a sprint. I recommend this to any HTS fan! ( )
  NikelB | Dec 10, 2013 |
Jesus Harvey Christ, finally! It took me an eternity to get through this. That's not a complaint as it is an observation; frame that in this: though a wonderful read - I can't count how many times I laughed, no, guffawed out loud - it is a bit long in the tooth. Some letters are a bit redundant and the book could have been better served with a few deletions. On to the next volume...
1 vote NateJordon | Feb 26, 2009 |
HST was a prolific letter writer and this first volume reveals an author and personality in the midst of finding his eventual voice and taking the initial steps at creating that infamous "outlaw" image. Funny and certainly fans of the author will find it indispensable. ( )
  CliffBurns | Jan 15, 2009 |

Hunter S. Thompsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brinkley, DouglasEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kennedy, William J.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,461,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible