The Concrete Jungle (2004)

by Charles Stross

Series: The Laundry (1.1)

This is the second story from Atrocity Archives (usually bundled together, but technically this is a separate novella). Dramatically better than Atrocity Archives; still not really my thing but if you were going to read either this one is better. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
Apparently this book was included at the end of Atrocity Archives so I read it without even knowing it, though I wondered why that book had such a strange ending with a new minor story.

There is one too many concrete cows in a park in Milton Keynes. That is bad. Bob has to go there and stop whatever is going on. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
I read the english version of this novella, and I found myself rooting for the outright destruction of every single video camera installed on the streets of everywhere. Alas, that it was just a dream of a newer, fresher, nicer 1984. Fun Story, great mix of medusa meets office politics meets palace revolt. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I love Detective Inspector Josephine Sullivan. And Basilisks. And everything cstross thinks about firmware, public sector management and Angleton.

Plot: The Very Horrible Bridget wanted to take control of more than just her share of Laundry power, so she staged a Software Audit, getting the wrong sort of person (McLuhan) involved. The plan was to grill a cow with SCORPION STARE (multi-heades Basilisk over CCTV) do show up Angleton. That escalated (because they got afraid of the investigation) to kill 11 of the 12 devs of SCORPION STARE firmware bystanders. Blackmail threat to upload the firmware to all CCTVs in part of London. Then, erm, Angleton takes care fo Bridget and Harriet. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Excellent novella.
What happens when remote surveillance (rampant in Britain) goes very, very wrong. People die horribly.

Another must read from Charles Stross.

Heartily recommended. ( )
  tcgardner | Oct 16, 2008 |

Stross, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Codecà, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Odissea Delos Books (Fantascienza, 17)
The death rattle of a mortally wounded telephone is a horrible thing to hear at four o'clock on a Tuesday morning.

Fast paced short story. Occult, secret government departments, interdepartmental squabbles, and remote cameras that can turn you to ash. Harry Dresden would wet his pants.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,745,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible