Spots in Your Love Feasts

by Dawn Evans

642,629,655 (3.33)None
Faith based fictional account of a pastor and a potential partner having a dinner meeting which leads to a discussion of biblical topics.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is...odd. I can't quite tell what the author's direction or purpose is. I thought at first it might be an attempt to recreate the Renaissance-style book where people argue different points to express the author's point of view, but I'm not sure. The entire book is two guys sitting at a table in a restaurant rehashing the life of one of them in the form of a job interview. I guess I won't spoil the reason for the interview or the outcome, but it wasn't what I expected. Also, the whole book is written in the present tense, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just feels weird.

The problem comes when the author starts explaining moral views as though there were no alternative. It is very much believe exactly what I believe or go straight to hell. There are a lot of standard church views: no premarital sex, no abortion, etc. Okay, pretty standard and I can understand that point of view despite the fact that the bible doesn't...I'll stop here, my point is that a lot of people who want to tell you what the bible says either haven't read it or have twisted it to say something it doesn't. The author really lost me when she said the main character's daughter chose to be gay as a form of rebellion against her parents. This is clearly presented as the daughter's choice, not a matter of nature or genetics and she was only doing it to make her parents mad.

I suppose I am not the target audience for this book, but I can't imagine anyone reading it and being convinced of any of the author's ideas. If anything, it seems meant for reinforcing the views of those who already believe what the author is presenting. There are also a fair number of spelling errors and typographic and formatting problems that make the book that much harder to read. ( )
  Parti-gyle | Jan 13, 2024 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I first saw the cover of this book, the striking image and the title gave me the impression that it was Christian nonfiction. So I was a little surprised to then see the line on the cover referring to the book as a novel. In any case, as a lover of fiction, including shorter works, I decided to give this one a try. I didn't finish it, though.

It didn't turn out to be the kind of Christian fiction I typically enjoy, and I should have paid closer attention to the book blurb. I didn't realize that for the whole book, two men would be seated at a meal, having a conversation on theology and Christian morality. It's my strong preference for story to be not only the outline of a novel but its prominent substance as well, rather than for the book to be an extended discussion driving a message to the reader. To me, a book like this is basically a nonfiction exposition, merely dressed with some fictional elements.

However, the main reason I didn't finish the book is on account of its need for thorough editing. (As far as I can tell, I received a finished copy of the book rather than an ARC.)

I found the verb tense inconsistency to be distracting. It seems the novel is meant to be narrated in the present, but the main character frequently switches between present and past tense as he narrates. There are also confusing punctuation errors and paragraphs where the first lines aren't indented.

Also, the dialogue in a novel should match up with the action beats, which isn't the consistent case in this book. That is, in a novel, when Character A has a line of dialogue, if the rest of the paragraph is describing what Character B is doing, then Character A's line should stand alone. Character B's actions should be written in a new/separate paragraph rather than right after Character A's words in the same paragraph. This is especially true when a line of dialogue has no dialogue tag. Action beats often serve in the place of dialogue tags for characters right after they speak.

While this book was an unfortunate miss for me, I do realize that technical writing details oftentimes improve in an author's later works. I also think this book might be better suited for readers who may indeed be more interested in reading a theological and moral discussion rather than a story. Again, that's a matter of preference.

I received a complimentary copy of this book for an honest review.
  NadineC.Keels | Oct 1, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I felt like I went back to freud from adler. binary ping pong that was not deep enough to meaningfully reach this theologian. most likely helpful to the basic new & older christians. possibly repellent to the non-believer and certain individuals of the theologically left. ( )
  Sage_DeForest | Sep 15, 2023 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A novel of uncompromising truth. I applaud the author for her excellent storytelling and ability to convey a sensible message to the masses.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  David_Fosco | Sep 14, 2023 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dawn Evans's book Spots in Your Love Feasts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Dawn Evans is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,512,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible