The Kiss That Missed by David Melling

The Kiss That Missed

by David Melling

An errant kiss puts everyone into g'night mode. I chuckled. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
In my opinion this book is the perfect story for young readers before they go to bed. This book is about a king who went to kiss his son, the prince, but it ran away to the forest because he was in a hurry. He than sends off a knight into the forest to go and get the kiss and bring it back to the castle. The language of this book is descriptive and has humor. It is almost a twist on a classic fairytale. The writing is engaging because the knight has to enter the forest and he runs into many obstacles along the way. The writing is also easy to understand and it flows well. The characters are believable. The king is like any other father who cares for his son and kisses him goodnight. The knight and horse can also be compared to other fairytales that save the day. The book is written in third person point of view. The plot is paced and has suspense. The knight is afraid of what he might encounter when trying to save the kiss. The illustrations really bring the story to life. It can help readers picture what the story looks like. The illustrations definitely enhance the story and the mood. The message of the story is to always make time for the ones you love and care about.
  akerek1 | Apr 3, 2018 |
This book is great for children who have parents that are very busy at work and may not get to spend a lot of time with them. Children can feel neglected at times if they are constantly with a caregiver instead of their parents. This book is a reminder of how important it is to take time out of the day to let children know how much they are loved.

I enjoyed this book because it can be a lesson for both children and parents. A good bed time story especially. Parents are able to look back through their day to make sure they are giving their daughter/son enough love and students are able to understand their parents busy lives.

The characters in this story are great. It makes this book enjoyable for both boys and girls. There is a knight and dragon for boys and a princess with a kiss for girls. ( )
  mwatki5 | Oct 13, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a really cute book for kids. I personally like fairy tales, so I liked the plot of the story. It was a cute idea to make the conflict about a kiss that flew out of the window and a knight was sent to retrieve it and he had to overcome his fears of the woods and the animals in the woods to retrieve it.

I also liked this book because the language used in the story was very descriptive. Especially when describing the woods and the animals they came across when trying to get the kiss back. This is good to show students how to describe things and people.

I would say that the message of this story is aimed more at parents rather than students. But the message is something in the form of taking time for the little things. The king blew a kiss goodnight to his son, and it missed. So at the end of the story it talks about how the King promised to always stop being in a hurry. ( )
  cboswe2 | Sep 29, 2016 |
I like this story, however, it was nothing that really stuck out to me. I liked it mostly because it is a cute and fun story for bed time. The one thing that stuck out to me was the adjectives used to describe the animals in the forest, such as "Owls stopped being swoopy" and "Wolves stopped being dribbly". I think the main idea of this story is to show how far a kiss or sign of love can go. ( )
  cawalt2 | Apr 4, 2016 |

David Mellingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladdines, TimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tonja and Monika
Once upon a Tuesday the King was in a hurry as usual.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0764136240, Paperback)

This disarmingly cute bedtime story from writer-illustrator-dad David Melling (Where Are You?) follows a busy king whose misfired good-night kiss flies right past his son and out the window.

"Once upon a Tuesday the king was in a hurry as usual. 'Goodnight,' he said and blew his son a Royal Kiss." But after rattling around the young prince's room and finding its way out the window, the Royal Kiss hurtles off into a dark and snowy forest. "Follow that Kiss!" commands the king to his loyal knight, and so begins a lengthy, silly chase scene. Even the putative bad guys in this story-- "growly" bears, "swoopy" owls, "dribbly" wolves, and a gigantic dragon--get a shot at providing comic relief, as the kiss streaks and swoops its way through the woods with the not-too-brave knight in hot pursuit.

The inspired illustrations and excellent design alone make this book a fun one, but it's Melling's restrained but infectious sense of fun that will ensure many repeat reads. From the comically animated lion emblazoned on the knight's shield to the forest creatures who seem to dance as they flee the dragon, Melling is clearly having a good time as he tucks us in--and when it comes to ensuring sweet dreams, that almost beats an accurately delivered good-night kiss. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

One evening, when the King is in a hurry, his goodnight kiss to the Prince goes astray. So the King sends his Knight out into the scary, dark forest to bring the kiss back to the castle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,462,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible