The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success…

The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life

by Emmet Fox

Yes and No. It’s dated, and that’s what made it so interesting. This text obviously informed AA texts and tenets, but AA took off in a different direction, danced with Ignatian thinking and produced the 12 steps. There’s nothing of step work here, but it’s implied. (see p.21 for what sounds like the first three steps. But these are universal spiritual principles. Here’s a sentence (p.135)
“Mankind is slow to realize that there is simply no way of salvation except by changing one’s consciousness, which means trying to do the Will of God consistently in every department of life.”
There’s not a religion or spiritual practice that wouldn’t resonate with that, given a particular translation of the vocabulary.
I disagree with the absolute power of positive thinking; I find it another form of blame-the-victim. It has limited uses, but Emmet's "Scientific Thought" sounds rigid. Dale Carnegie for the spiritual life.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
The real meat and bones of Christianity. Very little dogma and a lot of how to adjust one's thinking. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Eastern interpretation of SOM & Jesus' message ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
I used to blame Christianity for many of the problems that I saw in the world. But after reading this book, (after hearing about Emmet Fox from Louise Hay), I completely revolutionized my view. Fox talks about how Jesus wanted people to elevate their consciousness rather than considering circumstances and to focus on internal factors rather than external ones. In so doing he elevated my consciousness considerably and allowed me to live my life in greater harmony with God's laws; I am really indebted to Emmet Fox for giving me this key of understanding.

Today I still think that there are some bad ideas which are called Christianity, but that true Christianity is only a positive influence, and that Christ's love is always available to aid and transform you. Fox reveals the truth in many passages which you will surely have thought that you understood, but whose spiritual meaning has been quietly ignored by most of the Christian world. Principles like how to love your enemies and thereby gain inner peace, and how to realize that it is not your circumstances but your consciousness, your consciousness that is your own choice and not the result of your circumstances, which forms your life-- all this and more is found within this not only concise, but deathless, timeless book, which ideally should be read not just once but many times.

Emmet Fox shows you Christ's truth, so that you might realize that no matter how many choose to reject or quietly ignore these ultimately very simple teachings, they are available for you to claim as your ideals the moment that you choose to do so. I know that recently my increased inner peace has been entirely the result of the Christ-Truth being unveiled before my eyes.

(10/10) ( )
  walkthemoon89 | Mar 29, 2016 |
This book is written purely from a metaphysic, philosophical, pseudo-scientific viewpoint. It is the pinnacle of bad teaching about the "Sermon on the Mount" or anything else biblical. I read (past tense) it only to get a grasp of some of the errors in theology and doctrine which I may encounter from time to time in evangelizing. Emmet Fox hints strongly at Scientology. I do not recommend this book. It is heresy, pure and simple. ( )
  exinanition | Jun 29, 2013 |

Examines the biblical text of the Sermon on the Mount as a source of spiritual power and direction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,320,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible