Ex and the Single Girl by Lani Diane Rich

Ex and the Single Girl (2005)

by Lani Diane Rich

Hahaha totally can't relate to pushing someone away for fear of getting hurt lol ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
This book reminded me so much of Joshilyn Jackson’s work, and she is one of my favorite authors. I loved the idea of an academic coming back home to the South and having to recalibrate their life. This book was so fun and so light but so fascinating since I’m in a place of change right now. I love Lani Diane Rich’s writing style and story ideas! ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
Great sense of humor. Good characterization. This is excellent chick lit. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
For the most part, I liked this. Portia was an interesting character with more than her share of family strife. Unfortunately, I hated almost every other character in the book. Except Ian, I liked him. The rest of them can take a long walk off a short pier. Her mother, grandmother, and aunt were a bunch of horrid, selfish bitches. It’s no wonder that Portia thinks she’s messed up. What kind of mother pushes her daughter to sleep with a stranger within hours (if not minutes) of her meeting him? Ridiculous. Not to mention her detestable ex.

If Portia’s family had been more likeable, I could have easily given this 4 or 4.5 stars. ( )
  miyurose | Nov 18, 2012 |
A little more meaty/serious than your average chick lit. PhD candidate Portia is conned into returning to her hometown for the summer, where she deals with her 'barmy' family, who refuse to explain themselves at all, her recent break-up and the sudden reappearance of her ex, her stalled dissertation, the father she hasn't seen since she was 2, a British writer she might be falling in love with, and the Penis Teflon effect that prevents men from sticking to the women of her family. I don't know how she put up with her family. I'd have washed my hands of the lot of them. Guess she's used to it. ( )
  Darla | Dec 5, 2008 |

Adriana Trigiani meets Jane Green in this irresistible new novel about a family of southern women who have rotten luck with men.
Portia Fallon calls it PTEor the Penis Teflon Effect. It's the way all the women in her family deflect men like ping pong balls. No man has ever stuck with a Fallon woman for more than two years, and Portia has nearly surpassed that record. Until her live-in boyfriend dumps her. Now, everyone from her mother Mags to Auntie Vera and Grandma Bev is convinced that Portia must have sex with a temporary man. Enter Colin Beckett, a sexy, smart, and unsuspecting British novelist, who's visiting her small town of Truly, Georgia, for the summer.Then enter once again Portia's ex-beau, who's decided to fight to win her back. Now Portia faces a slippery decision: Which of these men has the right stuff to make a commitment stick?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:30 -0400)

When her live-in boyfriend abruptly ends their relationship, Portia Fallon fears that she has inherited a tendency shared by all of the women in her family for attracting commitment-phobic men, a situation in which she is encouraged by her mother, aunt, and grandmother to engage in a temporary fling.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,051,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible