Further Chronicles of Avonlea (1920)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables {L. M. Montgomery} (10)

1,47899,575 (3.66)1 / 38
Nestled between the ocean and the hills of Prince Edward Island is a road that leads to the house where a girl named Anne grew up, Green Gables, and to the wonderful place called Avonlea. In this second volume of heartwarming tales a Persian cat plays an astonishing part in a marriage proposal . . . a ghostly appearance in a garden leads a woman to the fulfillment of her youthful dreams . . . a young girl risks losing her mother to find the father she never knew . . . and a foolish lie threatens to make an unattached woman the town's laughingstock when an imaginary lover comes to town for real! Filled with warmth, humor, and mystery, these unforgettable stories re-create the enchanting world of Avonlea.… (more)

L.M. Montgomery is a long time and all time favorite author of mine. She writes the perfect girls story with just the right mix of adventure, drama and happiness. I find her books a comfort to read and have re-read most of her works many times over the years. They are classics for a reason and that reason is they are great. These are true comfort books for me and books I enjoy re-reading again and again. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
So this was a really odd mix of short stories. I say "odd" because I think I'm comparing it to "Anne of Green Gables," not even really meaning to. It's just that the "Anne" series is so iconic and such a big part of my reading life, that it's hard not to compare.

These short stories were sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, sometimes freakishly disturbing, and sometimes downright sorrowful.

I listened to the audiobook so sometimes it felt like the stories ended quickly, but I think that's because I was listening.

My favorite stories were the one about the Persian cat, the ghostly appearance in the garden and what happens when an imaginary lover actually comes to town.

coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
This collection of stories is a bit darker than most other LLM story collections but many of the stories still have happy-ish endings. The final story, Tannis of the Flats, makes me sick though. Some of LLM's characters make racist remarks but it usually feels like it's just a characteristic of that specific character (being that the characters are usually the ones who stuffy or stuck up cranks and not the nice characters) and not the attitude of the author. But Tannis is told in first person by an unknown character so the racist comments, of which there are many, come across very personal and are not easily dismissed. 😢 ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Eleven-year-old Anne was not the boy her adoptive parents were expecting-but the imaginative, feisty, red-haired girl soon won them over...and captured the hearts of readers forever. ( )
  LynneQuan | Oct 3, 2017 |
The back cover of my copy of Further Chronicles describes them as "Tales for Cozy Evenings," and Montgomery's unfailingly beautiful descriptions of nature make them just that: nothing matter-of-fact, overdone, or disposable about them. The enjoyable pictures Montgomery paints appeal to me like actual characters.

Aunt Cynthia's Persian Cat: "Ismay, the house is on fire!" I laughed aloud for a good minute or two.
In Her Selfless Mood: in a word, tragic.
Tannis of the Flats: it was...interesting to see the subject of race so addressed in the Chronicles. The most interesting story of them all to me, I think, for different reasons. And that's all I'll say about that.
The Little Brown Book of Miss Emily: what a TREAT to read a story told by Anne Shirley in first person! ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Max always blesses the animal when it is referred to; and I don't deny that things have worked together for good after all.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,575,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible