HomeGroupsTalkExplore

A War of Gifts

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game, Enderverse (8C (short stories 8.1, 8.2))

In a short novel set during Ender Wiggins's first years at Battle School, where it is forbidden to celebrate religious holidays, chaos erupts when older student Dink Meeker places a gift in another student's shoe on Sinterklaaus Day, a small act of rebellion that ignites a struggle between the students and staff and forces everyone to make a choice during the War over Santa Claus.… (more)

English (39)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (40)
Before reading the next installment of the Ender series, I wanted to read Book 5, which is a novella. Frankly, it seemed like a few missing chapters (i.e., after thought) from Ender's Game. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Short story taking place in the cadet training area over Christmas. The idea fits in with the rest of the world -- removing all religious practices from the students there -- but still did not draw me in enough to appreciate the characters. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Short story about Zeck, one of the children at the Battle School, and about Christmas and the giving of gifts. Zeck as pacifist to the extreme and has to handle the conflict between his religious views being discarded and forbidden, and people wanting to give gifts for Christmas.

The book is ok, but nothing special. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
This short story from Battle School is a masterful piece of psychological drama. My daughter has been reading all the Ender books and picked this one up in the library - and told me to read it. I was kind of tired and figured I'd read a little and then go to sleep - but after reading the first couple pages I was reminded how great a writer Card was. I finished the book before bed. I was hooked the entire time. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
#4 read for the April 2010 Dewey's Read-a-thon, a great story that makes you think, Enders Game was a whole mind trip, this little continuation is a Christmas themed one, but not your typical kind. Very good! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom Ruby,
who has kept the faith
in and out of Battle School
Zeck Morgan sat attentively on the front row of the little sanctuary of the Church of the Pure Christ in Eden, North Carolina.
“I don’t believe in war.”

”Not many soldiers do, you could get killed doing that stuff.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,983,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible