Running from the Law (1996)

by Lisa Scottoline

Whether it's poker or trial law, wisecracking Rita Morrone plays to win, especially when she takes on the defense of the Honorable Fiske Hamilton, a prominent federal judge accused of sexual harassment. And it's no coincidence that the judge is her live-in lover's father. Then the action turns deadly, and Rita finds herself at the center of a murder case. She probes deep into the murder, uncovering a secret life and suspects in shocking places. When the killer viciously ups the ante, Rita decides to end this lethal game. She lays it all on the line for the highest stakes ever -- her life.… (more)

better story than most of her other books I have read ( )
  Jeff_Simms | Jun 9, 2021 |
Liked the way you could find out what Rita was thinking but not saying, it gave humor to the story. Enjoyed the use of her father's old crony poker friends to help in researching the case. Another lawyer who lies and does anything to get the evidence they want but it made for a fast moving story. Something was always happening although I did not follow how she came to all her conclusions. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Rita Morrone is defending Fiske Hamilton, a federal judge, when a sexual harassment suit. Fiske is the father of her boyfriend, Paul. Soon the suit turns into a murder investigation. Rita has to determine if her client is guilty or not, and if not, who is the murderer? ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Smart and sharp, I enjoyed this lawyer solves a mystery novel. I guessed the murderer correctly but did not mind finishing the book. You have to pay attention to the quote marks in the text because the narrator does not say all that she thinks. It's a cute trick but it does tend to wear. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book starts with her playing cards and I really got into it quickly. The type is slightly larger and it made me fly through this book. It was a great story and since this is the first time I have read Lisa Scottoline (though I probably have 10 of her books sitting on my shelves) I am really glad that I started reading this book because now I know there is a good chance if I read another one, I will like it as well. Now I am sending it to my Mom in Michigan to love! ( )
1 vote diananagy | May 20, 2014 |
For Kiki and Peter
with love
Any good poker player will tell you the secret to a winning bluff is believing it yourself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,628,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible