Gym Candy by Carl Deuker

Gym Candy

by Carl Deuker

This is NOT A GIRLY BOOK. Just wanted to put that out there because the title can sound misleading to others. I mean Gym Candy? Very misleading...

Mick Johnson was made for football. His father was once a football star even going all the way to the NFL but he didn't last... His father even set him back a grade so he would be a year older than everyone else. He has an advantage with his age and his who his father is because since he was small he was taught the game and he never gave him an inch. His mother doesn't really understand how much football means to him but that's alright. As long as he has football he'll be okay. And then he's starting as a freshman Running Back with his friend Drew by his side as Quarterback. They've known each other for a long time and their friendship will be rocked by how Mick starts to act. Standoffish, too busy, and unnecessarily angry. The problem is that Mick isn't good enough. If he was only stronger he could have won a game. And then later on he is threatened by another Running Back. He goes to steroids and from then on out we will discover how strong he really is.

Ah-Mah-Zing! There aren't that many YA Sport books out there so this one was a treat and then it was about steroids so it made it even more fascinating. I felt for Mick but I couldn't see why he was doing it only at the end. I guess since his father never went to his games unless he was starting... there was pressure from him. And with the new guy coming in but I really didn't see so much pressure in the beginning. One little mishap and then you go for steroids and then the side effects? Ew. Nevertheless this book was crazy good. I loved every minute of it. I think it was so close to being a 5 star book but then the pressure thing I didn't get. I didn't see it there.

Nice twist Deuker. You had me thrown off there for a second. It made you wonder at the end which I love when author's do that. I was even more impressed with this book because I read Runner by the same author and I didn't like it that much so when I read this one I was happy and relieved. Deuker redeemed himself in my eyes. So check it out if you like Sports books.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
I learned ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I'm not a huge sports fan but that didn't stop me from enjoying this teen football novel about the dangers of doping and steroids. Mick Johnson has spent his whole life in his father's impressive football shadow and he's determined to prove to him and to himself that he can be the best running back in town. Determined to bulk up fast and become a starter on the varsity team he starts taking steroids on the side because his trainer convinces him it's safe and it will help him unleash his inner beast. Soon all Mick is doing is working out and trying to outplay his teammates. He pushes his friends away in his quest for greatness and becomes very focused on achieving the only thing he thinks he cares with him. Obviously this comes with a huge price and everything could fall apart in an instant if someone discovered the truth. A quick easy read that is realistic and helps people understand how athletes and body builders fall into the doping trap. A great read for teenage boys, especially jocks. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 21, 2016 |
That's candy spelled S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S.
  EDHSLC | Feb 4, 2016 |
I love this book. It opens your eyes to the illegal use of substances and about how teamwork and friends are important. 4/5 JH I chose this book because it was about my favorite sport, football. AG ( )
  edspicer | Dec 10, 2013 |
My earliest memory is of an afternoon in June. I was four years old, and I was in the backyard with my dad. He'd just bought me a purple and gold mini football, my first football.

Mick Johnson is determined not to make the same mistakes his father, a failed football hero, made. But after being tackled just short of the end zone in a big game, Mick begins using “gym candy,” or steroids. His performances become record-breaking, but the side effects are terrible: Mick suffers ’roid rage, depression, and body acne. Gym Candy’s subject matter is just as hard-hitting as its football scenes. You’ll find yourself unable to look away as Mick goes down a road that even he knows is the wrong one to travel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:54 -0400)

Groomed by his father to be a star player, football is the only thing that has ever really mattered to Mick Johnson, who works hard for a spot on the varsity team his freshman year, then tries to hold onto his edge by using steroids, despite the consequences to his health and social life.… (more)

Carl Deuker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible