dismiss

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (2003)

by Ann Brashares

With a bit of last summer's sand in the pockets, the Traveling Pants and the Sisterhood that wears them embark on their 16th summer. Bridget: Impulsively sets off for Alabama, wanting to both confront her demons about her family and avoid them all at once. Lena: Spends a blissful week with Kostos, making the unexplainable silence that follows his visit even more painful. Carmen: Is concerned that her mother is making a fool of herself over a man. When she discovers that her mother borrowed the Pants to wear on a date, she's certain of it. Tibby: Not about to spend another summer working at Wallman's, she takes a film course only to find it's what happens off-camera that teaches her the most.… (more)

English (92)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
Carmen, Tibby, Lena, and Bridget are back for another summer wearing "The Pants." Carmen continues to be a brat. I think she is supposed to be seen as the fiery Puerto Rican. In The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants she threw a rock through a window because she was mad at her dad for having a girlfriend and starting a new family. In Second Summer of the Traveling Pants it's her mom's happiness she can't bear to witness.
Tibby's situation was a little more believable. Away at college and desperate forget a friend who died of leukemia, she shuns her old life and adopts the crappy attitudes of a couple of loner kids in her class. This, I know a little something about. Sadly, I am guilty of changing my personality to impress new people.
Bridget is away in Alabama, working for her estranged grandmother and trying to escape an unfortunate event in The sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Gram thinks Bridget is a lonely girl named Gilda and with Bridget's weight gain and dyed hair Grandma is easily fooled.
Lena has the simplest yet most complicated story. After leaving Greece she couldn't stand to be away from Kostos so she broke up with him. Doesn't make sense, but that's perfect teenage logic for you. Who hasn't done something dramatic thinking it was the only choice? Kostos accepts the breakup until he sees Lena and professes his undying love for her...until something else happens.
All four girls have moments when The Pants don't work for them. The magic just isn't there and they have to rely on growing up to see the solution. the real magic happens when they begin to see their mothers as human beings. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 17, 2020 |
Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
I remember liking this instalment too. I also remember being frustrated with Tibby, but the reason why escapes me. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
I started this over the weekend when I realized I needed to give my brain a break.
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
No disappointments here. Just as fabulous as the last one. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
"For my mother, Jane Easton Brashares, with love."
"Once there were four girls who shared a pair of pants."
There is a novel in this series published as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 which is actually a reprint of Forever in Blue - the 4th book in the series. It has a movie cover tie-in and is NOT this book.

Very enjoyable for a teen book -- the 16-year-old protagonists make everything Incredibly! Dramatic!, but once the reader remembers what it's like to BE 16, that seems very believable and realistic for the characters at hand. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood is, of course, a sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; Brashares does a nice job of explaining the backstory without being so heavy-handed as to undermine *this* story.

Characters are well-developed; conflicts are resolved in ways that are true to life (though not always pleasing). Some serious themes are addressed -- identity and family, the nature of true friends, and true love lost, among others -- but the book is never heavy or dark. It's a great snapshot be being 16.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,921,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible