New York Dead by Stuart Woods

New York Dead (1991)

by Stuart Woods

672None14,407 (3.65)11

Very good book , i like the character stone barrington. Murder of a celebrity and stone leaves the nypd for law practice ( )
  afarrington | Aug 30, 2012 |
good first stone barrington novel by stuart woods. look forward to reading the series. ( )
  barb302 | Sep 7, 2011 |
Gorgeous anchorwoman falls/is pushed out of a 62 story skyscraper and somehow (terminal velocity meet flying squirrel) survives for a little bit. Creepy failed doctor turned embalmer is one suspect. Co-anchor (jealous male) another. Someone is murdering cabbies; someone else is making Yuppies disappear. Stone Barrington, our hero, is getting it on and on with gorgeous, buxom sex machine Rachel (or was it Rebecca?) Already I can't remember. In the end--spoiler alert--it's gorgeous buxom Rachel who is the killer. Creepy failed doctor is also a killer. He is killing the Yuppies so that he can embalm them and set them up at a dinner party where they are young and beautful forever. Oh, and he steals body gorgeous anchorwoman, embalms her, and has her at the party. Did I mention that the anchorwoman is really a man? Or that the sex machine falls out a window, her husband says "My wife is dead!" and the cop replies, "Get used to it, Pal. She's New York Dead." So how does it get 2.5 stars? Well, it moved along ( )
1 vote cdeuker | Jun 23, 2011 |
I liked this book. It's fast paced and doesn't get into politicking or government conspiracies or old war histories and the main character isn't a recovering drunk or a divorced dad, etc. So the main character isn't stereotyped and the story itself is rather interesting. Even the "romance" (yes, that word is used very loosely) is believable and not cheesy.

I didn't like the stereotyping of the "bad" lesbian character, or the regular insertion of date-rape incidents. I found both to be jarring and rather out-of-place in this story that otherwise didn't devolve into stereotypical behavior or moralizing.

The ending was a bid odd, of course, but justice was served in a goes-around-comes-around manner. I'm definitely reading more Stone stories.

If you're bored and want to see more of my reviews (or, more accurately, my thoughts), check out my blog: http://the-shit-that-goes-on-in-my-head.com/) ( )
  crazybatcow | Feb 25, 2011 |
Walking home from a bar one night, off-duty detective Stone Barrington rolls his neck and catches sight of a woman falling from a twelve story building. Not only does his prime suspect escape, but the body of television news celebrity Sasha Nijinsky also disappears. Without a body, the police can't even be sure a murder occurred. Although Barrington is forced out of the department before the case is closed, he is irrevocably entangled in the decadent, salacious side of a New York media coterie. As the danger escalates, Barrington will have to discover from where the threat originates to stay alive. This first adventure moves Stone Barrington into the legal arena from which his future investigations, and the series, continue. ( )
  ktoonen | Jun 23, 2010 |
This book is for
Nick Taylor and Barbara Nevins,
who are New York Alive
Elaine's late.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061090808, Mass Market Paperback)

It Was Just Luck

Everyone is always telling Stone Barrington that he's too smart to be a cop, but it's pure luck that places him on the streets in the dead of night, just in time to witness the horrifying incident that turns his life inside out.

Suddenly he is on the front page of every New York newspaper, and his life is hopelessly entwined in the increasingly shocking life (and perhaps death) of Sasha Nijinsky, the country's hottest and most beautiful television anchorwoman.

No matter where he turns, the case is waiting for him, haunting his nights and turning his days into a living hell. Stone finds himself caught in a perilous web of unspeakable crimes, dangerous friends, and sexual depravity that has throughout it one common thread: Sasha.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:15 -0400)

On disability leave from the New York City Police Department, Detective Sergeant Stone Barrington witnesses the murder of network news star Sasha Nijinsky, who is pushed from her penthouse terrace.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,483,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible