Lion Dancer: Ernie Wan's Chinese New…

Lion Dancer: Ernie Wan's Chinese New Year (Reading Rainbow Books)

by Kate Waters

LOVE this book. Told in the first person, Ernie Wan walks us through preparations and rituals of Chinese New Year. Ernie lives in Chinatown, goes to a special Chinese school, takes KungFu lessons and is part of the Lion Dance in the New Year celebrations. Illustrated with actual photos, this book explains the culture beautifully and in an engaging way. ( )
  nadinetrapold | May 18, 2019 |
I had read this book to my students last school year for our Chinese New Year unit and to prepare the children for the parade that we do. The children loved listening to how the importance of participating in a celebration that isn't a tradition people who are not from that culture. The book talked about Ernie was fighting his apart about wanting to be the Lion Dancer because it was his turn according to their tradition. My students questioned, why the didn't want to wear the cool costume that he would be getting to wear. It raised a lot of questions which was good because they were curious to wanting to have an understanding of why China celebrates this tradition. ( )
  MsYvette83 | Sep 16, 2018 |
introduces the cultural aspects of the chinese new year
1 large book
  TUCC | Jun 26, 2017 |
an amazing book about the chinese new year and all the traditions that come with it
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 11, 2017 |
This book is one of my favorite books for Chinese New Year celebration. The authors successfully capture the lively and warm atmosphere of New Year celebrating among Chinese. Through the realistic photograph as well as the text, the authors show readers the custom of the Chinese New Year, such as offering food and incense at the altar and wearing new clothes in New Year. In addition, the authors also appendix the Chinese horoscope to the end of the book. The Chinese horoscope is an important part of the Chinese culture and is still widely used among the Chinese community. The Chinese characters in the horoscope are also written correctly and beautifully in Chinese paint brush to represent the artistic aspect of Chinese writing system. ( )
  gjchauvin504 | Dec 3, 2012 |

Describes six-year-old Ernie Wong's preparations, at home and in school, for the Chinese New Year celebrations and his first public performance of the lion dance. On the Chinese New Year, six-year-old Ernie will perform his first Lion Dance. An intimate look at a Chinese household as the family shares a proud moment with Ernie. "A strong supplement for its immediacy, its vibrant color, and its sympathetic look at a Chinese family."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,720,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible