Tar Beach (1991)

by Faith Ringgold

Series: Cassie

A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt painting of the same name.

I think this book would be good for mid-elementary students. This book takes you through the story of Cassie Louise Lightfoot and her dream of one day being able to go where she wants to go next. She currently lives in an apartment with her family, but she dreams of much more. I think this book would be great for a history lesson or just a book to admire. ( )
  EmilyMcDonald | Apr 19, 2021 |
This book has beautiful illustrations that with the words tell a really lovely story of a girl as she explores the world around her and takes in the beauty of the city. It really encompasses the importance of family and how even in the hardest of situations there is always joy to be found and hope to have. I put this as a primary book because of the few words on each page but I think for the younger ages I would use it as a read aloud because I think some of the pages have words and longer paragraphs that may be difficult for kindergartens to understand fully.. ( )
  RaeganZuyus | Apr 5, 2021 |
Tar Beach tells about a little girl who, one night, is able to fly above the city. She begins to claim buildings as her own so her family will no longer have to worry about work. This would be an interesting story for the classroom and would require further discussion.
  Elliemangan | Apr 5, 2021 |
This book is suitable for primary aged students. It is about an African-american girl who imagines herself flying over her city, gaining ownership over the things she flies over. This idea of flying is relative to freedom. She imagines that as an African American, she has the freedom to go wherever she wants and take ownership over the things she desires. In her imagination, there are no constrictions. I would use this in my classroom library as a book to represent my African American students and also to convey to my students that they have freedom in the world to do what they aspire, just like the character in the story. ( )
  emilyfdubois | Apr 5, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

My first book is for my mother, Mme. Willi Posey, who took me to Tar Beach. And everywhere else. If she could be here now!

And for my three grandchildren, Faith, Theodora, and Martha. They are all strong readers and can fly.

And for my children, Michele and Barbara. They are women now. But I knew them when.

And for my husband, Burdette Ringgold, who keeps my feet on the ground. It was he who reminded me about Tar Beach after all these years.
I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge.
"I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,408,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible