The Bicycle Man by Allen Say

The Bicycle Man

by Allen Say

Compare Japanese children's "Sportsday" to our kids' "field day." ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Very enjoyable! Great lead into history lessons. Students will probably find the tale very engaging.
  kes030 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book was very interesting and a great window of another culture looking into another culture. The language of this story is very clear and descriptive."he looked like a small boy greeting a giant", descriptive language like this allows an immediate picture to form in your head. This book outlined how a culture could look into another and their perspective. "The principle walked up to the American and bowed." quotes like this show cultual diversity and communication by body language. The main moral of the story was "to never judge a book by the cover". As the Americans walked up to the school, students were scared, " I felt afraid" the main character said. Later the children realized that these men were great people and were glad to meet them.
  achamb15 | Feb 23, 2015 |
This is the third Allen Say book I've read this year, and being the huge Japanophile that I am, it's safe to say that I am officially a fan. I found this book today misshelved in the Education and Reference book section of a dusty old charity shop.

Set on a mountainside village near Yokohama not long after World War II, this autobiographical story takes place on sportsday–an event where all the school children and their families gather at the village school for a day of games and prizes.

On this particular spring day, two American soldiers from a nearby base show up and give everyone the biggest surprise of all. What a great little book, and a steal for only a quarter. I hope to eventually read all of Say's children's books. His illustrations are wonderful, and there's so much substance to his stories. ( )
  dreamydress48 | Dec 10, 2014 |
One day at a small school in Japan the students were having sportsday which an event for the whole school and all the students parents attended. The students noticed a man in a army uniform watching them from the fence who them came over and gave them a show to remember on the bicycle.
  tnt013 | Apr 28, 2011 |
For Morita Sensei
When I was a small boy I went to a school in the south island of Japan.

The amazing tricks two American soldiers perform on a borrowed bicycle are a fitting finale for the school sports day festivities in a small village in occupied Japan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

The amazing tricks two American soldiers do on a borrowed bicycle are a fitting finale for the school sports day festivities in a small village in occupied Japan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,845,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible