The Divine Invasion by Philip K. Dick

The Divine Invasion

by Philip K. Dick

Series: VALIS Trilogy (2)

1,450None5,144 (3.79)8

English (6)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (9)
Dick uses teachings of mystical Judaism and Christianity in an attempt to explain his unsettling sense of another reality breaking through this one and proving it to be illusory. Interesting ideas but the book seems a bit more like notes for a book rather than the book itself. ( )
  robinamelia | Jan 9, 2012 |
As I’m not a science fiction fan, I can’t remember why I bought this book. I struggled through technical terms and a vision of a future world that I fear may be all to real – isolated humans living in steel-cold domes on distant planets – and, when I realised that for four nights in a row I’d managed to avoid any reading rather than carry on reading this story, I eventually gave in about a quarter of the way through the novel. In between the high tech words, there were enough flashes of wit and glimmers of wisdom that make me think any sci-fi aficionados will find this a brilliant read.
  JudyCroome | Aug 28, 2011 |
This isn’t even close to a recap of the plot of this book. We start out by going back in forth in time, only to find out some of the “back” is false memory. A man winds up marrying a pregnant woman to smuggle the unborn “savior” back to earth. The savior gets born. There is confrontation with a “devil”. And an artificial intelligence tries to jump in and mess up the plans. There is a lot more strangeness, but trying to describe or explain it would only confuse. It is a weird trip as Dick tackles his thoughts about God in the second of three books that are loosely linked on the subject.

It is not to everyone’s taste. And many fans of Dick dismiss or actively hate this part of Dick’s writing. Yet, in its own way, it is classic Dick – unsure of which reality is real, trying to determine how it all fits together, and exploration of broad themes through bizarre circumstances.

This book stands well on its own. And it reads well as the follow-up to VALIS. It will not be an easy read (good Philip K. Dick never is), but it contains rewards worth working for. ( )
  figre | Jul 14, 2011 |
The second coming of God in Dick's style... What happens if Jah comes back to Earth, but he's a brain-damaged 10 years old boy... and it's not our Earth anymore... or is it? Here's everything what a PKD novel needs: paranoia, Valis, alternative histories, Gods and more paranoia... Great! ( )
  TheCrow2 | Dec 27, 2009 |
PKD at his loopy best: starts out as a spirituality-based thriller (what if Christ were secretly reborn in a dystopian future?), but by the book's midpoint the entire universe has become queasy and unhinged as the novel's theological forces grapple and debate. Messier than "Valis," and with more "wtf?" moments, but a worthy follow-up nevertheless. ( )
3 vote jbushnell | Jan 20, 2007 |

Philip K. Dickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

n The Divine Invasion, Philip K. Dick asks: What if God--or a being called Yah--were alive and in exile on a distant planet? How could a second coming succeed against the high technology and finely tuned rationalized evil of the modern police state? The Divine Invasion "blends Judaism, Kabalah, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity into a fascinating fable of human existence" (West Coast Revew of Books).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:12 -0400)

What if God--or a being called Yah--were alive and in exile on a distant planet? How could a second coming succeed against the high technology and finely tuned rationalized evil of the modern police state? --P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible