The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version (RSV)

by Thomas Nelson & Sons

The Revised Standard Version is a revision of the 1611 King James Version and its successors, the Revised Version and American Standard Version. It is a scholarly and accurate translation, highly regarded as a reliable text for academic use, as well as lending itself well to public reading and private devotions. It does not aim for the latest contemporary idiom: rather, it seeks to preserve all that is best in the English Bible as it has been known and used through the centuries. Despite the plethora of new Bible translations over the last twenty years, the RSV remains popular. This edition is bound in French Morocco leather. The Bible text is complemented by cross-references, translators' notes, pronunciation marks for names and places and a concordance designed by the American Bible Society. It is the only leather RSV reference Bible available in the UK.… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (lhungsbe)
    lhungsbe: My go-to version of the Bible. No additions or deletions. Easy to read.

Finally finished the whole thing, including the Apocrypha. Had read only the New Testament completely before. Now I will go back and do the Old one over again. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Logos Library
  birdsnare | May 16, 2019 |
My parents gave this copy to me when I was intalled as Master Councilor of Albert Pike Chapter of The Order of DeMolay. I took it with me to college. Also took it with me to prison. ( )
  PJCWLibrary | Sep 3, 2016 |
I read the 1962 edition. I am unable to find the 1962 edition listed in Library Thing. The difference between the 1962 and 1952 edition is almost 100 changes to the text. The RSV is an excellent read of the Holy Bible. ( )
  shdawson | May 26, 2015 |
I started reading the Bible when I was 5 years old - random readings. I was a 'born again' Christian by the age of 15 years old. Then as a young adult, I started studying the Bible via church leaders and scholars. I participated fully in church and church related activities. Took many courses from seminaries and bible schools. Then in my thirties, I found the need to read the Bible without outside influence. So, I read it cover to cover -- Gen. 1:1 to Rev. 22:21 -- six times from 1980 to 1986. I filled dozens of spiral notebooks with my findings, feelings and thoughts. About half-way through my 7th reading I discovered I had become an atheist -- a lack of belief in god(s). The Bible and all religious tomes (I have read the major ones) have stories, proverbs and parables that can offer insight into the kinder, gentler side of humanity. They also show us how fear, power and prejudice can cause people to assign responsibility for these 'failings' to a god or gods. So yes, I think the Bible is worth reading but not just the 'feel good' parts -- read all of it if you are going to read it.
1 vote Meandu91 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Revised Version: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
The First Book of Moses commonly called Genesis
You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)
since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this not yours own doing, it is the gift of God -- not because of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
This is the Revised Standard Version of the Bible. Please DO NOT combine this with any other translation, or with incomplete editions (e.g. the New Testament alone), or with versions containing the Apocrypha. Do not combine with "study bibles" containing extensive additional material; copies with ordinary references and "helps" are fine to combine here.

As others have described. A few color illustrations scattered throughout the text. Several maps, pictures of coins & Christian symbols at the back. I chose the closest cover available. The lettering of my copy is the same, but my cover is white leather.
Listed as: Zondervan Publishing House, 1952. Verso of title page does not list ISBN or LC #. I believe this Bible came in an olive green box. It's possible that additional information was on the box.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,280,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible