When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box

by John Ortberg

Remember the thrill of winning at checkers or Parcheesi? You become the Master of the Board-the victor over everyone else. But what happens after that, asks bestselling author John Ortberg. You know the answer: It all goes back in the box. You don't get to keep one token, one chip, one game card. In the end, the spoils of the game add up to nothing. Using popular games as a metaphor for our temporal lives, When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box neatly sorts out what's fleeting and what's permanent in God's kingdom. Being Master of the Board is not the point; being rich toward God is. Winning the game of life on Earth is a temporary victory; loving God and other people with all our hearts is an eternal one. Using humor, terrific stories, and a focus on winning "the right trophies," Ortberg paints a vivid picture of the priorities that all Christians will want to embrace.… (more)

What can we take with us to the kingdom of God? In When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box, John Ortberg tells us we can take pretty much only what we brought to the game. Everything else goes back in the box— The only real "winnings" you claim and keep are your own soul and the love you have for Christ and each other. If you think you might need a better game plan—one that offers an eternal perspective—this strategy-filled playbook walks you through what it takes to really win big at the game of life.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Oct 7, 2019 |
When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box neatly sorts out what’s fleeting and what’s permanent in God’s kingdom. Being Master of the Board is not the point; being rich toward God is. Winning the game of life on Earth is a temporary victory; loving God and other people with all our hearts is an eternal one. Using humor, terrific stories, and a focus on winning “the right trophies,” Ortberg paints a vivid picture of the priorities that all Christians will want to embrace.
  StFrancisofAssisi | May 20, 2019 |
An excellent book. I became interested in reading it after seeing the author's video bible study series of the same name. The book is so much better, and very well written. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
John Ortberg takes the image of a game, such as Monopoloy. He recounts anecdotes with his grandmother, who taught him a great deal about sportsmanship and games in general, and he relates it to daily life.

The overall theme is to make live worth living, since it will eventually come to an end, just like a board game. The book is divided into sections - setup, hazards, how to play, and so on - with parts of games used as analogies for different aspects of living life.

I don't suppose there was anything in the book that I hadn't read before in other contexts, but I found an interesting and often thought-provoking read. Ortberg's style is clear and inspiring, and there are some unexpected humorous asides here and there.

Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The book consists of a number of entertaining stories and anecdotes to lead the reader to see what the important things in life are. The book is fairly light on Bibilical references and stories. It almost felt like a more organized "Chicken Soup for the Soul" book. It is easy to read and somewhat enjoyable, but is unlikely to change anyone's life. This one probably should go back in the box. ( )
  wbc3 | Feb 16, 2009 |

Zondervan

3 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310253500, 0310282462, 0310325056

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,282,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible