dismiss

Kiss of Crimson

by Lara Adrian

Series: Midnight Breed (2)

He comes to her more dead than alive, a towering black-clad stranger riddled with bullets and rapidly losing blood. As she struggles to save him, veterinarian Tess Culver is unaware that the man calling himself Dante is no man at all but one of the Breed, vampire warriors engaged in a desperate battle. In a single erotically charged moment, Tess is plunged into his world-a shifting, shadowed place where bands of Rogue vampires stalk the night, cutting a swath of terror.Haunted by visions of a dark future, Dante lives and fights like there is no tomorrow. Tess is a complication he does not need-but now, with his brethren under attack, he must shield Tess from a growing threat that includes Dante himself. For with one reckless, irresistible kiss, she has become an inextricable part of his underworld realm...and his touch awakens her to hidden gifts, desires, and hungers she never knew she possessed. Bonded by blood, Dante and Tess must work together to thwart deadly enemies, even as they discover a passion that transcends the boundaries of life itself.… (more)

very good book, it kept me interested the entire way through. I love books that spark my interest from the beginning and can keep it until the very end. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated by Hilary Huber. Tess discovers Dante horribly injured in her veterinary clinic. He drinks her blood to save himself and wipes her mind, then discovers she's a breedmate. He's bound them together, then discovers her ex-boyfriend is involved with Crimson. Tess has a healing gift that she's hidden believing it was a curse. While Dante tries to keep her from his world, everything going on around her and him keeps pulling her in deeper. Toss in a rescue dog and you have a lot of elements to enjoy, including more about Chase, Rio, Tegan and Elise.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
The beginning of this book was really good, high quality action writing which just grabs you and immersed me into the story right away.
I don't feel as if this story is so much about Dante and Tess as it is about the Breeds (what the vampire nation is called) and how the Warriors (good bad ass vampires) are fighting the Rogues (mean bad ass vampires). I like the two main characters but never felt a good connection with them. The series is starting to feel like a long continuous story with little glimpses of the characters who make up the story. The characters are almost like the secondary characters and are pushed to the background.
I started to get disinterested around ch.17 but otherwise the first half of the book was a good read as far as action is concerned.
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! When the truth of Dante's death vision was revealed I gasped loudly! Crazy! Bravo Ms. Adrian for putting that little shocker in there. Seriously this little story arch raised the book in my eyes. I was starting to get a tad bored until this happened and now I'm highly anticipating reading the rest of the book. (I think after I read this part I had 5 or 6 chapters to go in the book) Just too bad that there were 11 or so chapters in the middle which were kind of boring, but at least it picked up in the end.
Haha the "Die Hard" reference was cool, but then I had a hard time not picturing Dante as Bruce Willis after he said "Yippeekayay, muthafucker". Usually I'll take originality over a copied popular pop culture reference.
I thought Tess's reaction to the whole Breed world was more believable than Gabrielle's (Kiss of Midnight). I thought this book was better than the first, and I liked Lucan better than Dante. Anyway great action beginning, slow middle, but then back to exciting fast paced end. I wish there had been more of Marek (villain from #1 Kiss of Midnight in Midnight Breeds series) in this book and a better storyline than the drug "Crimson" causing havoc for the Breed Warriors to tie this book into the series. Alas this series is still intriguing me so I carry on with the next one, which is about Tegan and who I think is going to be my favorite.

B ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian
Book #2 in Midnight Breed
5 Stars

Synopsis:
Veterinarian Tess Culver finds herself immersed in a secret world following a brief yet vivid encounter with the badly injured Dante, one of the vampire warriors locked in a fierce struggle against the rogue element of his race. The two soon find themselves bonded together by blood and passion and must work together to thwart the enemies in their midst.

Review:
I was hesitant to continue with the series but am really glad that I stuck with it as Kiss of Crimson is a definite improvement on the first book. Adrian’s characterization has improved greatly. Tess is an amazing heroine whose heartbreaking back story draws you in and Dante’s love for her is just awe inspiring – I particularly enjoyed the small twist regarding the connection between Dante’s special power and his relationship with Tess (you’ll just have to read it to see). For once, the sex scenes contribute to rather than detract from the emotional intimacy between the characters. I also enjoyed the subtle hints at stories to come, especially Tegan and Elise, and Rio whose condition is so distressful.

The plot line continues from the previous book but adds an extra dimension by including characters from the civilian vampire world and an issue that relates to the vampire society as a whole. My one small quibble is with the villain in the book who is not all that menacing and is actually quite pathetic.

Recommendation: Every new detail added in this book helped me to become more immersed in the world Adrian has created. I definitely recommend the series based on this book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Migliore del precedente senza ombra di dubbio, Bacio Cremisi, ha ancora una volta dimostrato la bravura della scrittrice nel mescolare suspance, romance e fantasy.

Benchè palesemente fin troppo simile alla saga di J.R.Ward (La confraternita del pugnale nero) la saga di Lara Adrian è in grado ugualmente di affascinare e coinvolgere senza riserve.

Rispetto al primo volume, Il bacio di mezzanotte, in questo "Bacio cremisi" ritroviamo un tocco in più di suspance e azione che convive perfettamente con la storia fra Dante e Tess.

Per quanto riguarda l'intrigo generale che circonda la storia d'amore fra il Guerriero e la Compagna di Stirpe possiamo dire che abbiamo fatto un piccolissimo passo avanti. Ci son state fornite nuove informazioni che, purtroppo, non possiamo valutare molto finchè non avremo fra le mani almeno un altro paio di libri. La cosa si fa interessante dato che, abbiamo scoperto, il fratello di Lucan, sta cercando di ristabilire il suo potere incentivando la straformazione dei vampiri civili in Ribelli.

Per quanto riguarda, invece, la storia d'amore possiamo dire che questa mi è piaciuta abbastanza anche se, sinceramente, si basa sempre un po' troppo sgli stessi canoni. Lui che vuole stare solo e non è interessato al concetto stesso di Compagna di Stirpe, lui che la inganna e le fa dimenticare il primo incontro... Lei che lo scopre, alla fine ovviamente, lo molla e scappa via e, ovviamente, che si ficca nei guai dai quali Dante dovrà salvarla.

L'Happy End c'è, senza dubbio, ma mentre la Ward ha reso unica ogni storia/libro in questo caso, in due libri, mi sono ritrovata lo stesso schema. Ed è questo il motivo che mi ha spinto a rimanere sullo stesso livello di votazione del precedente.
Benchè fosse indubbiamente superiore al primo, questa ripetizione mi ha un po' infastidita.

Senza dubbio prenderò anche il terzo, nel speranza però, che almeno lo schema d'innamoramento (sì, chiamiamolo così) vari un po'.

Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Lara Adrianprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huber, HillaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cappy and Sue Pratt, my traveling PR team and favorite cheerleaders. Thank you for all the love, support, and the countless good times. I believe I hear the Caribbean calling again….
Dante smoothed his thumb over sweet female flesh, lingering at the carotid, where the human’s pulse throbbed the strongest.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,069,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible