The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett

The Book of Virtues (1993)

by William J. Bennett

Well-known works including fables, folklore, fiction, drama, and more, by such authors as Aesop, Dickens, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, and Baldwin, are presented to teach virtues, including compassion, courage, honesty, friendship, and faith.

Superb Messages ( )
  Brightman | Jul 21, 2017 |
Nice intriguing stories that help improve character and friendships. There also are poems that are nice and good to read at bedtime. I liked this book because it had really cool stories that I read again and again.I liked these two the most,"The Sword of Damocles" and "The Bell of Atri".I also liked the stories that had to do with the colonial times ( at least I think). ( )
  eli.P. | Oct 22, 2015 |
To Ed Feulner -- A man of virtue for all seasons -- and a good friend in thick and thin
  efeulner | May 2, 2014 |
(6 hours) I bought the cassett version at a thrift store and it was the edited version. This book was extremely enteraining. Bennett wants to communicate the value of positive character traits from real people or famous tales. He includes character trait examples from an assortment of writings which spans everyone from Asoep to Babe Ruth. This book is a rich mine of moral literacy which will encourage and inspire anyone no matter what faith you adherre to. I now want the full version. The variety of narrators adds to the colorful readings. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Mar 28, 2014 |
All Bennett proved is that he can compile good stories than he didn't write but liked. And then he makes a lot of money from it. No original thinking here and shouldn't original thinking be one of the highest virtues? ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
You know that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken. ... Shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up? We cannot. ... Anything received into the mind at that age is likely to become indelible and unalterable; and therefore it is most important that the tales which the young first hear should be models of virtuous thoughts. ... Then will our youth dwell in a land of health, amid fair sights and sounds, and receive the good in everything; and beauty, the effluence of fair works, shall flow into the eye and ear, like a health-giving breeze from a purer region, and insensibly draw the soul from the earliest years into likeness and sympathy with the beauty of reason. There can be no nobler training than that. (Plato's "Republic")
To the families of America from my family: Bill, Elayne, John and Joseph Bennett
This book is intended to aid in the time-honored task of the moral education of the young.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,373,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible