The Book of Virtues: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories (1993)

by William J. Bennett

Well-known works including fables, folklore, fiction, drama, and more, by such authors as Aesop, Dickens, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, and Baldwin, are presented to teach virtues, including compassion, courage, honesty, friendship, and faith.

For the most part, I liked this book. I was reading this book off and on as I waited for books to come from the library. There were a lot of good lessons, poems that I like and some Bible stories. I tended to skip over or skim stories from mythology and other religions. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 1, 2020 |
William Bennett succeeds gloriously in achieving what he set out to do: "aid the time-honored task of the moral education of the young." How delightful to be let into the inside story of his wife's influence on the project and their road-testing the selections with their own sons. The labor involved in selecting and discarding an untold number of possibilities is not small task. Thank you Mr. Bennett for reacquainting me with some old friends and introducing me to new ones. I would love to see more works like this from well-read collectors of stories reflecting other cultures and societies. ( )
  CherylLonski | May 8, 2020 |
Superb Messages ( )
  Brightman | Jul 21, 2017 |
Nice intriguing stories that help improve character and friendships. There also are poems that are nice and good to read at bedtime. I liked this book because it had really cool stories that I read again and again.I liked these two the most,"The Sword of Damocles" and "The Bell of Atri".I also liked the stories that had to do with the colonial times ( at least I think). ( )
  eli.P. | Oct 22, 2015 |
To Ed Feulner -- A man of virtue for all seasons -- and a good friend in thick and thin
  efeulner | May 2, 2014 |
You know that the beginning is the most important part of any work, especially in the case of a young and tender thing; for that is the time at which the character is being formed and the desired impression is more readily taken. ... Shall we just carelessly allow children to hear any casual tales which may be devised by casual persons, and to receive into their minds ideas for the most part the very opposite of those which we should wish them to have when they are grown up? We cannot. ... Anything received into the mind at that age is likely to become indelible and unalterable; and therefore it is most important that the tales which the young first hear should be models of virtuous thoughts. ... Then will our youth dwell in a land of health, amid fair sights and sounds, and receive the good in everything; and beauty, the effluence of fair works, shall flow into the eye and ear, like a health-giving breeze from a purer region, and insensibly draw the soul from the earliest years into likeness and sympathy with the beauty of reason. There can be no nobler training than that. (Plato's "Republic")
To the families of America from my family: Bill, Elayne, John and Joseph Bennett
[Introduction] This book is intended to aid in the time-honored task of the moral education of the young.
In self-discipline one makes a "disciple" of oneself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,760,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible