Half the Blood of Brooklyn

by Charlie Huston

Series: Joe Pitt (3)

Sent to Brooklyn to investigate the murder of a blood dealer, vampyre detective Joe Pitt comes face to face with the most peculiar Vampyres he has ever encountered, all the while struggling to deal with his ailing girlfriend, Evie, who is rapidly runningout of time.

I like the storytelling by dialogue and scarcity of expository passages. The Brooklynites turn out to be very memorable. I wish I could get my husband to read these but vamp novels are not his thing. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Quick read which I enjoyed. Although never as much as I think I am going to. I will keep reading the series though. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Well, kids, the gloves are off. Sure, ALREADY DEAD and NO DOMINION were pretty tough books - lots of heartless jockeying for power, lots of bones breaking, a few corpses at the end of it all - but by the end of HALF THE BLOOD IN BROOKLYN those were the good old days.

First of all, Joe's taken a job with the Society. It's the safe way to go, but Joe just isn't cut out for that kind of teamwork. His pride has suffered - and so have his morals. He's back to being a hired gun, and for the first time we see him killing indiscriminately. The bodies pile up fast.

Second of all, Evie is dying. She's physically a wreck, and she's not all there mentally, either. The crisis we've seen coming for the past couple of books has arrived: Joe has to let her die, or try to save her by making her a vampire. Naturally, things don't go as planned.

Meanwhile, Joe's sent across the river to Brooklyn. The Society is reaching out to the boroughs for allies and they've found a rag-tag band of carnival freaks who need support. They find out why soon enough: a clan of conservative Jewish vampires is well on its way to owning Brooklyn, and the circus freaks are getting in the way. Sounds simple enough - but when the Coalition and the Society are both involved, everything is complicated. Wheels within wheels.

I read with my heart in my throat for most of the book - too anxious about what would happen next to put it down for even a minute. The ending is definitely a cliffhanger - and I look forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was a disappointment to me, as someone who really enjoyed the first two Joe Pitt novels. There was a stretch of about 50 pages which started off okay, and then someone was killed, and then someone else was killed, and on and on and on. I lost track of why all of these people were dying; it just got sort of boring after awhile. I'm not averse to violence or bloodshed in a novel, but it really felt pointless to me.
Joe Pitt also started to annoy me in this book. Never a very chatty guy, he was downright monosyllabic here, and rather flat as a character.
All in all, a book that sort of meandered and never felt like it had much plot. I wish I had liked it more, as the other reviewers seem to have, but I just didn't feel the love. ( )
  AlaMich | May 30, 2012 |
This is the third in the Joe Pitt vampire/noir series of books so if you're thinking of reading these it might be a good idea to miss out the next paragraph if you want to avoid potential spoilers as it is definitely one best read in order.

Now working for The Society, Joe is sent to Brooklyn on a recruitment mission. Something big is brewing and his boss, Terry, wants some new allies to help when it comes down. As Manhattan is pretty much squared off that leaves over the bridge and Joe is sent to bring back a representative from a clan called the Freaks. Even by vampyre standards these guys really do deserve their name. But with Joe being involved events don't transpire smoothly and he finds himself caught up in a local family squabble. Along with that little problem he also has the ongoing struggle of his rapidly dying Aids infected girlfriend to deal with. The decision to try and replace one disease with another is rapidly approaching and there's no guarantee that she'll survive the process or be happy about the outcome if she does. Added to all this is the complication of Amanda, the girl Joe saved in the last book. She wants to use her inheritance to find a cure for the vyrus and she wants Joe to be a part of it. So there's quite a lot going on in this book and I've not even mentioned the usual complications of The Coalition or Enclave dealings that Joe has.

Despite having quite a few blood and guts moments I feel this book is more of a set-up novel for the remainder of the series and although it leaves you wanting to jump into the next book to find out what happens next I think I'll wait until I have the final volume on tap as well before I do. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Mar 2, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

To Mr. Stoker and Mr. Chandler. With my greatest thanks. And apologies for the liberties taken.
I don't like him. I don't like the way he smells. I don't like the way he looks. I don't like his shoes. If I stuck a blade in him and drank the blood that shot out of the open wound, I wouldn't like the way he tastes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,154,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible