Massive by Julia Bell

Massive (2002)

by Julia Bell

The book is categorized under fiction, & I do hope that is the case & that it is not semi-biographical. The mother in the book sickened me---in fact when reading this book it constantly brought back to mind Julie Gregory's "Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood" (which is sadly, an actual memoir).
It is bad enough to set such a poor example to a child, but to inflict the same on them by means of verbal abuse is inexcusable.
The book seems to end in an odd way until one contemplates the symbolism of it. ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Nov 10, 2008 |
Narrated by a teenage girl with an eating disorder this is an immensely moving story. It’s all the more tragic because her body issues are strongly influenced by her mother, who herself is obsessed with her weight, She causes her daughter to become extremely lacking in confidence and believing that the only way to be accepted and loved is to be stick thin. Anorexia and bulimia become part of this family’s every day life, despite other relations trying to help the daughter break out of this unhealthy cycle. A brilliantly written tale of food obsession, but one that I suggest only older teenagers read as it is very disturbing at times. ( )
1 vote kehs | Aug 27, 2008 |
This book was really great. It is good for those girls who feel unsure of themselves (I am not ones of them). It could help you find yourself. ( )
  beacen-weaken | Dec 7, 2006 |
This novel disturbed the HELL out of me, but I think that was the point. It was terrifying to see the progression of an eating disorder not only in the teenager narrator but also in her mother. I was actually disturbed by the story and the non-resolved ending made me nervous for the narrator. It makes me hope Bell writes a sequel. ( )
1 vote fusesburning | Nov 10, 2006 |
"...it is certain that I am really distinct from my body, and can exist without it." -Descartes
Nuff respect to the friends and family massive- The Bell Family, Rachel Bradford, Maggie Braley, Lesa Carnegie, Louise D'Arcens, Bex Farley, Jackie Gay, Ness Harbar, Emma Hargrave, Mo Herdman, Laura Hird, Tina Jackson, JpJ, Paschal Kane, Penny & Dave Rendall, Michele Roberts, Jerry Sheldon, Ali smith, Barbara Watts, and Sara Wingate Gray. And a big up to the Tindal Street Fiction Group, my editor Sarah Davies, and my patient and encouraging agent, Annette Green.
For all the girlfriends
"If I was as big as her I'd kill myself," Mum says, pointing at a picture of Marilyn Monroe in her magazine.

Carmen feels the stress of dealing with an anorexic mother, when they relocate to the city.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,111,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible