Along Came a Spider

by James Patterson

Series: Alex Cross (1)

"The double kidnapping of the daughter of a famous Hollywood actress and the young son of the Secretary of the Treasury is only the beginning! Gary Soneji is a murderous serial kidnapper who wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is the brilliant homicide detective pitted against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the female supervisor of the Secret Service who completes one of the most unusual suspense triangles in any thriller you have ever read"--Publisher.… (more)

English (124)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (128)
It was an enjoyable book. So far I like the Women's Murder Club series better. ( )
  soosthemoose | May 21, 2021 |
Yawn. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
This was heavy debate for me on whether or not to give this book 3 or 4 stars. At first I even clicked the 3, but decided that one of my factors had nothing to do with plot, character development, or dialogue. The main thing that almost changed it from 4 stars to 3 had to do with the Kindle version I had. There were sooo many typos that it got distracting. Words were spelled wrong, some words were incorrectly entirely (putting 'he' or 'she', or 'an' for 'and'; typos sure, but they changed the whole meaning of the sentence, paragraph, etc.)

Anyhow, the plot was good and mostly unpredictable. I was pretty sure that Jezzie would have something to do with the final outcome of solving the mystery and the "who-done-it" part especially after how in depth Patterson went to create the new relationship between Cross and herself; Why would an author do that unless he was planning for these characters to get married and spend many more books together, or in the case of this book: plan the biggest betrayal yet. I didn't quite realize the extent of the betrayal though and was ultimately surprised by the ending with the death sentence of Jezzie. The rest of the plot had me guessing and feeling uncertain throughout most of the book... even up to the end with Gary Soneji/Murphy playing the part. I found it interesting the way in which Patterson was able to mold the character into an almost schizophrenic personality, but ultimately at the end Cross was able to figure out that even though he truly was "both" of these characters, he moved in and out of them with free will (figured that out from something that Cross mentioned towards the end of the final capture when he mentioned the way Gary Soneji/Murphy was dressed. He was dressed as Murphy and so chose the first actions on what to accomplish that day as Murphy... although I'm sure it is all highly debatable). Sorry, I'm starting the get off topic.

One thing that surprised (and sometimes annoyed me) was the dry humor in the book. I realize that this really isn't the kind of book that you would go to if you wanted to read a care-free, lighter book, but the humor sometimes had me second guessing if it was even humor.

I'm hoping that the next few Alex Cross books are a little easier to follow (grammatically) in the Kindle versions seeing as I will need to borrow them from the public library's E-book drives. I think I will need to take a little brake from James Patterson's style of writing. It sometimes feels a little choppy and almost like the sentences and paragraphs don't flow exactly like they should... I'm hoping this is something that gets better as the series goes on.

I would recommend this book to readers like myself who like "who done it" books and who aren't a afraid to "stick it out" and will keep reading a book even though it might not be exactly what you thought it was going to be like. I sometimes felt this way throughout the book, but was able to keep plugging away at it. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this thriller introducing a complex character, Alex Cross. I liked the core characters in the story and the thriller kept me on the edge of my seat. The complexity of who was the "good guy" and who was the "bad guy" kept me interested in the story. Definitely a great introduction to a character I enjoy reading about in each new episode. ( )
  jguidry | Mar 2, 2021 |

Cumpstey, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, KeithReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Diggs, TayeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sappinen, Jorma-VaikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Charles Lindbergh farmhouse glowed with bright, orangish lights.

Hachette Book Group

7 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446364193, 0446692638, 0316693642, 1586211099, 1594831211, 1586211102, 0316072915

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,385,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible