The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My (1952)

by Tove Jansson

Series: Moomintrolls (Picturebook)

In a delightful, curious game of what comes next, Moomintroll travels through the woods to get home with milk for Moominmamma. A simple trip turns into a colorful adventure as Moomintroll meets Mymble, who has lost her sister, Little My. Along the way, they endure the hijinks of all the charming characters of the Moomin world, including the Fillijonks and Hattifatteners. Will Moomintroll ever make it home safe and sound? --Publisher's description.… (more)

English (5)  Swedish (1)  All languages (6)
I was hoping to find out what I was missing by reading about the Moomins in this different format, but I still don't really appreciate them. Sorry. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Liked it, didn't love it. The art design was amazing . . . the translation of the original text to English had a bit of clunk to it. I imagine it's like reading Dr. Seuss translated into French. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book is wonderful! It has a Dr. Seuss feel to it with entertaining and complex rhymes and made-up words that never confuse the reader. In this book, Little My is lost and her sister, Mymble, and an elephant, Moomin, that happens to cross her path set out on a quest to find Little My.

The illustrations in this book are fabulous. The drawings themselves are wonderful but each page has a cut-out that gives the reader a very intentional peek into what’s coming next.
At the end of each page, the author invites the reader to predict and question by telling you that in the next minutes, second, moment, etc something is going to happen. I think would be a fabulous book to model with students how readers make predictions. Predicting cannot be avoided with book. Everything about it beckons you to figure out what is going happen.
1 vote lanebrown | May 3, 2010 |
Gloriously inventive cutout book with a blank verse fantasy quest in Moominland. ( )
  TheoClarke | Jul 27, 2009 |
One of the best picture books, ever! The pages are cleverly cut so glimpses of what is to come, and what has passed, is shown the reader. Apart from that it's a pretty charming story of the perils Moomin goes through when he has bought his Mum some milk. ( )
1 vote isiswardrobe | Mar 18, 2006 |

Jansson, Toveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hannah, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Moomintrolls (Picturebook)
Tillägnad Putte!
Från mjölkbutiken, klockan fem, ett litet mumintroll gick hem.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,082,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible