Body Double (2004)

by Tess Gerritsen

Series: Rizzoli & Isles (4)

Returning home from a trip to Paris, Boston medical examiner Maura Isles confronts a nightmarish scene. Police cruisers line her street and slumped in a car at the end of Maura's driveway is a dead woman, her head bloodied by a gunshot wound. Cops and neighbors gape at her as she approaches. Only when Maura looks at the victim does she understand why everyone is so shocked by her arrival. The dead woman looks exactly like Maura. Within a week, the DNA lab delivers a stunning verdict: the dead woman is Maura's twin. A twin she never knew she had. Detective Jane Rizzoli, now eight months pregnant, tackles the case as chief investigator. But for Maura, this murder is far more personal and frightening.… (more)

English (49)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
When I first picked up The Surgeon - mostly because Amazon recommended that I should read it - I didn't know if I could make it through. The romantic aspect of the story nearly killed it for me - echoing Harlequin romance. With The Apprentice, my gut told me that I was reading the chick lit version a mystery - but I ignored the romance and stuck to the plot (which made it enjoyable). The Sinner nearly killed me because of the triangle that was introduced and Rizzoli's defiance against falling in love with Agent Dean. With Body Double, being the fourth book in the series, I've come to accept the romantic aspect.

Tess Gerritsen's writing is marvelous. She has the power to suck you into the story and not let go. While it took me longer to read than I expected - mostly due to other reasons - the book was hard to put down the moment I picked it up (and if i wanted to do any writing, I had to force myself to put it down).

Maura Isles returns from France to find a crime scene near her neighborhood. Her neighbors are shocked to see here. Her friends stare at her as if she's a ghost. Even her friend Father Brophy seems taken aback by the sight of her. Someone was shot and killed in front of her house. She doesn't know why people are acting so surprised to see her standing before them. That is until, the victim is revealed to her. Slumped in a car, a bullet hole against her head, sits Anna Jessop. While Maura has never met Anna before, her face is nevertheless familiar. It's the face she wakes up to every morning - Anna Jessop could be her twin sister.

When DNA confirms it, Maura sets out to learn more about her twin sister, leading her to a family with dark secrets. Secrets that would very much leave her dead.

Unlike the other novels - with the exception of The Surgeon - this one seemed to focus more on Maura Isles than it did on Jane Rizzoli, even though the latter is supposed to be the main character. It's understanding, considering the content of the book - why would something clearly about Isles focus solely on Rizzoli's findings?

The story is gritty and dark. It leads you to believe several things at once, and keeps you guessing. Even though revealing evidence is presented, it doesn't turn out quite the way you expect it. From being misled on who killed Anna Jessop to the pivotal ending, the book is a page turner. Even the most astute probably didn't see the ending coming. I know I suspected the wrong people, and I'm usually good at these sort of things.

Once again, the forbidden desire for Father Brophy (who was introduced in The Sinner) keeps Maura at bay relationship wise. She knows nothing can come of it, even though there are signs that his affection for her is almost mutual. New character, Detective Ballard, on the other hand, gives her hope that she can find love again. Nearly absent character, Gabriel Dean (first introduced in The Apprentice) doesn't play a role in the story at all. He's mentioned to be out on a mission, leaving a pregnant Rizzoli behind.

Gerritsen's voice is resonating. No one before her has captured my attention like this. As I read on, her voice grows more established. She's gone from guilty pleasure to the top of my list. Can't decide if I want to continue on with Vanish or give Moxyland a go before continuing on with Rizzoli & Isles. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Not my favorite in the series. It seemed too far fetched to really work as a plot for me (long lost twin? really, Gerritsen?) but the writing is still fast paced and intriguing and I really care about these characters. I'll definitely keep going on the series. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Synopsis: 'Medical Examiner Maura Isles returns home from a Paris vacation to find police examining a dead woman. She was shot in her car right outside Maura's Boston apartment. What's more, the dead woman looks exactly like Maura.
Does she have a secret twin sister? Was the bullet meant for Maura? Before we have time to sort things out, Maura is pulled into another case involving the murders of heavily pregnant women. Clues lead to a mysterious woman in an insane asylum who may be Maura's long lost mother (Maura was adopted.)
Meanwhile a parallel story presents a young pregnant woman trapped in a coffin with an air hole and a short supply of food and water. Her curiously detached captor wants to know only one thing: how do you feel today?
Maura and her police detective friend finally get to the bottom of an unusually grisly and ruthless series of murders for profit.'
Review: Sad and scary at the same time. Really didn't like the mother and had no empathy for her. Still waiting for Rizzoli to have that baby! ( )
  DrLed | Jul 27, 2021 |
I just love the Rizzoli and Isles books and I read this as fast as I could. It's a fantastic and well written medical thriller.

I would recommend that everybody should check out the other books in the series because these books are awesome. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
I enjoy both of these characters, however the number of neck slashing serial killers in the series gets very old, very fast.
  Chris.Bulin | Oct 1, 2020 |

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jäger, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tissoni, AdriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Adam and Danielle
That boy was watching her again.
ISBNs 073932084X, 0739333453, 0739304135, 0739304127 are abridged (condensed/shortened) audiobooks. Please do not combine with the full-length book since they are not the same work.

Returning home from Paris, Boston medical examiner Maura Isles is greeted by a nightmarish scene. Slumped in a car in her driveway is a dead woman, a gunshot wound to her head. Cops and neighbours stare at her as she approaches; and when Maura looks into the car, she understands why. The body on the front seat is her mirror image. In the autopsy that follows, Maura discovers more and more parallels between her and the dead woman, right down to their identical blood group. She is even more confused when her friend, Detective Jane Rizzoli, learns that, according to all available documentation, the woman did not even exist until two years previously. Who was this woman? What was her relationship with Maura? And who is the killer's real target? Maura, who was given up for adoption at birth, knows she must confront the truth about her own mysterious origins. As she tracks down the dead woman's identity, she uncovers a shocking revelation about the mother she never knew. Drawn into a dangerous and manipulative game, Maura and Rizzoli are led ever deeper down a path of dark untruths and murderous deceit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,088,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible