Mr. Maybe (1999)

by Jane Green

To Libby Mason, Mr. Right has always meant Mr. Rich. A twenty seven-year-old publicist, she's barely able to afford her fashionable and fabulous lifestyle and often has to foot the bill for dates with Struggling Writer Nick, a sexy but perpetually strapped-for-cash guy she's dating (no commitments--really). So when Ed, Britain's wealthiest but stodgiest bachelor, enters the picture, her idea of the fairy tale romance is turned on it's head. Mr. Maybe is the tale of her heartfelt but hilarious deliberation. On one hand, Nick makes up for his low bank-account balance by his performance in the sack, or in the bathtub, as the case may be. But life with him means little more than nightly trips to the bar, a dark and grungy apartment, and plenty of dull political tirades to boot. But those blue eyes, and that tender heart ... On the other hand, there's Ed, whose luxurious house and gargantuan bank account are quite tempting to the starving Libby. But his unsavory mustache and bumbling ways make Libby wonder if the platinum AMEX and unlimited "retail therapy" are worth it. He may have fallen in love with her at first sight, but nothing seems to solve his lackluster performance in the sack -- even speed reading The Joy of Sex. When the diamond shopping commences, Libby is forced to realize that the time for "maybe" is up. A classic tale of what happens to one girl when her heart and her head aren't looking for the same thing. With a laugh and minute and a heroine whose struggles in the dating jungle will remind you of your own, Mr. Maybe is a story that all will leave you smitten.… (more)

Sometimes you watch bad tv just for the heck of it and sometimes you read bad books because you like the cover...

Predictable plot, not great characters, quick, easy read.
  littlemuls | Jan 28, 2021 |
This was one Jane Green book from her chick lit days I never read. I wondered why I never bought this and now I know why. I must have read the sample and said no thank you. That was a smart decision. I am kind of horrified at how bad this book was. The main character was awful, so were two of her love interests. Her friend was having issues (serious ones) that she ignored. Her mother made Mrs. Bennett in Pride and Prejudice look like a saint. I mean my God. That's a terrible bar to be lower than. So why did I keep reading? I kept wondering how bad could it get. It got really bad.

Told in the first person, we have Libby Mason who is looking for love in all the wrong places. Libby is told constantly by her terrible mother that she's not worth a damn until she gets married and married to a man with money. And though Libby has dated (and frankly based on the way she acts, I can see why men left her butt) she is still looking to date a rich man who can keep her in designer clothes and a million dollar mansion. Working in publicity has Libby next to the wealthy, but she's not wealthy.

When she goes out with friends, she runs into Nick (who she has met before). She and Nick have insta-chemistry/lust in this one and though Libby knows it won't work out, thinks she is capable of just having a fling with Nick (she's not).

Nick is everything that Libby doesn't want, he's jobless, poor, and doesn't see a problem with dressing like he's homeless. But you know, hot sex, yadda yadda yadda. When Libby starts to catch feelings for Nick, he realizes they should stop while they are ahead. Libby then ends up meeting her rich man and wonders if he is the one for her.

I just can't with this book. Nick is a jerk and so are his friends. Libby is a jerk too though so I don't know who wins that contest. I have never read a book about so many unlikable people in my life. And the only one I felt sorry for was the guy Libby ends up dating after Nick, Ed. Ed wines and dines Libby and she's angry that he's bad in bed, has a gross mustache, etc. but is still happy to get all the flowers and presents the guy showers onto her. Her mother practically offers herself up to him if he will keep dating Libby.

I think in the end I should be happy about follow your heart or something, but wow they all suck. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I kept thinking that if I read another chapter I might get into it. Nope. As far as I read the only real descriptions were of the sex. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Mar 22, 2020 |
It's okay. Not the best Jane Green but it was a quick read. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 31, 2016 |
Another book I read and did not register here. Did find a review on bookcrossing.

This book was a surprise wishlist fulfilment by Kelly aka ellymae. XX
on Thursday, March 03, 2005 I wrote on bookcrossing.com

8 out of 10
Picked this up yesterday and I am really grateful I received this book because it is just what i needed right now. something funny and a book that absorbs my thoughts. I am really enjoying it, laughing out loud.
Nearly finished though but Jemima G is coming my way and looking forward to it. thanks Kelly

8.5
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

Jane Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aldea Lorente, Víctorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aldea Lorente, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nick jamais deveria ser um príncipe encantado...

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,944,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible