The Other Woman

by Jane Green

Thrilled to be Linda's 'adopted' daughter, Ellie begins to have doubts about marrying Dan after she gets to know his mother better.

English (23)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (25)
I haven't read a Jane Green for a while and I enjoy her writing and story lines, so this was a good read. Jane will change up how the book is rolling along and it keeps up the pace until the end! Good story about the drama of family and mother-in-law- troubles, they happen, but also it shows both sides of the story, which was nice to think about. ( )
  mchwest | May 18, 2018 |
Nice read, one of Jane Green's better ones. The other woman is the mother-in-law. The protagonist meets her when her boyfriend proposes, thinks she is the mom she never had, and the woman takes over. All mean well, though, & I have my happy ending. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Sep 20, 2017 |
I struggled with so much of the selfish in this book. This doesn't mean it was badly written or that it was not engaging it was more I couldn't relate. I thought it was a very interesting investigation and in some ways I enjoyed the middle most in this story as that is where I was most comfortable with the unusual characters. The ending for me is the reason I can't give it five stars but I would say a very good read if it works for you. ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 23, 2017 |
This is an old review I wrote on bookcrossing.

On Friday, March 24, 2006 I wrote

7 out of 10
It has been on my TBR shelf for a while, but yesterday I was in for a fun and fast read and I am glad I picked up this book.
Really enjoyed it. Maybe not as good as Jemima J, but still a nice read. Just the book I needed.
Still have another book by Jane Green on my TBR shelf,and looking forward to it. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Any bride-to-be, or mother-to-be, will devour this deliciously written book. All Ellie wants is a functional family. That's not to say she grew up without a family, just more to the point that she grew apart from her family. When she meets Dan, it seems like her dreams are answered, until they turn into a nightmare. I literally reminisced about my wedding reading along with the characters; the proposal, the planning, the headaches, the questions. Although, in Ellie's case, she really didn't have a part in her wedding, mainly she was just expected to show up- that's how much control her future mother-in-law had. When Ellie announced she was pregnant, I once again reminisced about my own children. How you are expected to just figure things out, how you want to buy certain things on your own. Again, Ellie feels that her mother-in-law has overstepped her boundaries and is treating her soon to be grandchild as if it were her own child. It only takes an accident for Ellie to stand up for herself and destroy the one dream she has hoped for since her teenage years. But, is ending the dream in everyone's best interest? Whether you love your in-laws or not, this book perfectly nails what every woman at one point or another thinks about her extended family. ( )
  mspoet569 | Feb 18, 2016 |

Jane Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bailey, JosephineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pulling a sickie is not something I'm prone to do

Ellie and Dan are living proof that opposites attract. She’s impulsive; he follows all the rules. He loves sports; she’s allergic to any form of exercise. Ellie doesn’t have a mother. Dan does — a very involved mother.

At first, Ellie is thrilled to be accepted into the loving Cooper clan and have Dan’s mom, Linda, as her “adopted” mother. But then Ellie starts to wonder, how has the intimate civil ceremony she always dreamed of turned into a black-tie affair? And what can Dan and his mother possibly have to talk about on the phone twice a day?

Ellie’s problems have just begun. When she discovers she’s pregnant, she realizes that Linda has only been rehearsing for the real takeover. Linda seems to want to live her life through Ellie and, in the words of the immortal Princess Diana, there are three of them in the marriage.

When a crisis strains family bonds, Ellie turns to her friends — glamorous Lisa, who always looks like she’s just stepped off a runway, and wonderfully frazzled Trish — and tries to rediscover the independence she once had and the man she still loves. But it seems that having a child and saving a marriage means growing up in ways she’d never imagined.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,521,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible