The Man Within by Lora Leigh

The Man Within
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Roni Andrews is devastated when the love of her life, Taber Williams, rejects her. When it is revealed that Taber is one of the genetically modified breeds and that he has marked her as his mate, Roni’s life is in danger and she is forced to place her trust in the one man who broke her heart.

Review:
The continuing plot surrounding humans, who have been genetically engineered with animal DNA, is extremely compelling. Now the breeds are out in the open and have become the target not only of the mysterious council who created them but of extremist groups as well. While there are still gaps in the world building certain details are made clearer, which suggests that everything will ultimately be clarified in future installments.

Roni has been in love with Taber since childhood and I really enjoyed their emotional connection, which is much stronger than that of the couple in the first book because it has been building over time and is not merely lust at first sight.

Nevertheless, Roni and Taber’s characterization is unbalanced. The focus is primarily on Roni’s background and upbringing but the details of Taber’s time in the labs in seriously lacking.

The writing flows and the dialogue is clever, especially the witty repartee between the secondary characters. The tension between Sherra and Kane is particularly palpable and I am chomping at the bit to read their story.

In sum, this is an entertaining book for those who enjoy a sexy, steamy read. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I really liked this story. The effects of some of the tricky things Dayan had done coming into light after his death was a neat twist. It was also interesting to see how the Breeds are living now that they've gone public and what the public actually thinks of them. I'm glad to see Kane still working with the Breeds. Roni and Taber's own story is very cool to see too. The length of time they've known each other being so much longer than Merinus and Callan, it gives much more back story for us to read. I like that they have a history. I'm very much looking forward to reading Kane and Sherra's story...they keep tossing us little hints and foreshadowing what might come! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I had been wanting to read this book for a few years, so it was nice that it was finally in paperback at the library. Yes, it's high on the erotica list, but I started the storyline in the mainstream book series. Went back to this to get some of the beginning of the series filler. I pretty much inhaled the book last night and had a few chapters left to finish today. Pretty easy read. Actually, not as much sex as some of the other books, surprisingly. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Mar 25, 2016 |
Have I ever mention how much I LOVE this series? Really Taber and Roni are another amazing couple in a long list of amazing breed mates. There is mystery and action and sex so good it seams up my windows! Lora Leigh is also gifted at writing villains. I so wanted to kick Reggie's arse!!!! Great book! Can't wait to read more. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Taber and Roni are Hot, hot, hot!!! Super steamy book with a touch of intrigue to keep things popping!! Loved it and love this series! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
"Roni, dammit, what kind of trouble did you manage to get yourself into this time?"

He had protected her as a child, filled all her teenaged fantasies and stole her womanly heart, only to break it.

Now, fifteen months later, the news has released. The man she loves is one of the genetically altered Feline Breeds who have shocked the world with their presence. He's also her mate. The mark on her neck attests to that. The fire that rages in her heart and in her body further proves it. But he hadn't wanted her then. Does he really want her now?

Deceit and treachery born in the past, now haunt the present as Taber and Roni fight to make sense of their sudden bonding, the mating of heart, body and soul. Taber must battle the forces raging against his union with the woman he has claimed as the man and beast within begin to merge.

He had protected her as a child, filled all her teenaged fantasies, and as a woman, he stole her heart. Only to break it. Now, fifteen months later, the news has released. The man she loves is one of the genetically altered Feline Breeds who have shocked the world with their presence. He's also her mate. The mark on her neck attests to that. The fire that rages in her heart and body further proves it. But he hadn't wanted her then; does he really want her now? Deceit and treachery, born in the past, now haunt the present as Taber and Roni fight to make sense of a sudden bonding. The mating of heart, body and soul as the man and the beast within merge; both battling the forces raging against the union and dominance over the woman her claimed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,473,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible