Sweet Myth-tery of Life

by Robert Asprin

Series: Myth Adventures (10)

As real estate investment trusts continue to grow exponentially in Asia and Europe - being already well established in the USA and Australasia - a comprehensive guide to the issues involved in REIT property investment decision making is badly needed. This book draws together the most recent developments in REIT management from academic research and professional practice. It is based on current, original academic research, including structured interviews with the managers of a wide range of different types of REITs as well as the research and publications of others, together with the author's 25 years experience in REIT management. It provides a theoretically robust and practically relevant up to date guide to the property investment decision making process for REITs. Presenting new insights, the author breaks the REIT property investment decision making process down into three phases, each comprising six stages with 30 sequential steps. Each chapter focuses on one stage of the property investment decision making process and introduces the key people in the REIT management team relevant to the activities in that chapter. The theory and principles are considered and illustrated by application to Super REIT, a $15bn diversified REIT. Global Real Estate Investment Trusts: People, Process and Management fuses not only how REITs should undertake property investment decision making - based on how it is undertaken and the underlying property theory, capital market theory and finance theory - but also why each part of the decision making process is important. This book provides the first sole-authored scholarly work specifically on REITs as a business enterprise and REIT property investment decision making as an holistic and cyclical process. The focus is on principles, making it relevant in each of the four major REIT markets around the world: USA, Europe, Asia and Australasia. An essential book for REIT managers and all those practising professionals involved in the REIT industry - including property practitioners, researchers, lawyers, accountants, bankers and directors around the world.… (more)

I gave up halfway. I found the writing to be boring, the stereotypes, over the top, and the story itself to be stupid.

Generally, I don't think of Skeeve as a sexual person. The story of him being setup was rather annoying - and didn't really work.

I did like the bit about economics- I found it interesting, and can see it being used an introduction to managing money.
  TheDivineOomba | Feb 18, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: Sweet Myth-tery of Life Series: Myth Adventures Author: Robert Asprin Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Fantasy Pages: 136 Synopsis: Skeeve must decide whether to marry the Queen of Possilton or take over the Kingdom. Goes on several dates to find out about women, brings the kingdom's finances up to snuff [with Bunny's help] and is generally very Skeeve-like. My Thoughts: Not as amusing as I'd hoped. Skeeve is really an idiot and sometimes that translates into "Hilarious" but other times it translates into "Skeeve is an idiot". This was one of those Idiot times. Skeeve is a great apprentice archetype, but he doesn't do well as the Leader. It is obvious that Bunny has a thing for him and somewhere in that tiny brain of his it seems that Skeeve has a thing for Bunny. But to drag the series out, nothing gets resolved, of course. Skeeve keeps getting limited by the choices presented to him. He forgets, doesn't realize, etc just how powerful he is and that he can make his own mold instead of conforming to the mold others have cast for him. He needs a stiffer backbone and some self-confidence. Asprin does write a funny story and parts of this were pretty good [the date with a vampire for one] and the whole thing with Gleep is good as long as you don't mind getting smacked across the chops with a foreshadowing glove [and for the most part, I don't. Smack away, sir, smack away]. I will be reading the next book very soon, as this one ends with Gleep apparently dead or dying with an arrow in him. Spoilered! [kind of like 'Arrowed!!!', for you Homestar Runner fans] " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
First, I have to say that Robert Asprin was an amazing author, and wonderfully inventive, and I'm sorry he's gone.

It took me an awfully long time to finish this. I'm still ambivalent about it. The book and storyline haven't aged well, or perhaps I've aged too much to appreciate it. I loved the first few books, and had only picked up the last few all at once, at a local used book store. The book ends abruptly, continuing on in Something M.Y.T.H., Inc. There had been another book written between the two (RA says that it was to get back into the swing of things because it had been so long), and I'm intending to read that (Myth-ion Improbable) next. After those two, I think I'm done.

Would I recommend this to someone? Only if they'd already read the others up to this, and had the sequel in hand to read also. It's a fun book, but the storyline is starting to show threadbare here. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Jun 18, 2015 |
Quick read. Light. Amusing. Wise thoughts on marriage from a bachelor Troll. ( )
  PortiaLong | Jul 20, 2013 |
While I enjoyed the earliest books in the Myth series more, this one still entertained me. The plot, such as it is, has Skeeve the Great hired as a consultant to fix Possiltum's finances. Queen Hemlock is also wanting to hire Skeeve for the role of Royal Consort. She threatens to abdicate the kingdom to Skeeve if he turns her down. If Skeeve weren't such a responsible sort, he could just abdicate himself and walk away.

Otherwise, naive Skeeve gets to play the 'straight stupid' who gets to learn the various lessons that the author is teaching. Readers who know better can wince in advance as Skeeve does some pretty foolish stuff in his desire to learn more about women as potential mates instead of friends. (I'm wondering how much was put on his credit card on that blind date.) Of all the characters who give Skeeve advice in this book, I salute General Badaxe.

By the way, if you're looking for Tananda, the Trollop Assassin, sister of Chumley the Troll, she's mentioned several times, but not really present.

The hook for the next book was not pleasant. Also, I'm hoping, probably in vain, that Queen Hemlock doesn't find her old ring.

Walter Velez is the artist for the white cover with a dreamy-eyed, lounging Gleep sniffing what appears to be a deep pink daisy. ( )
  JalenV | Feb 10, 2012 |

Robert Asprinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Velez, WalterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...And so, to recap, the situation is this..."
[Grimble to Skeeve] I was referring to an economic depression, he said tersely. If we dump that many ex-soldiers on the job market at the same time we're cutting back on military spending, it would create massive unemployment. Broke, hungry people, particularly those with prior military training, have a nasty tendency to revolt against those in power... which, in this case, happens to be us. (chapter 3)
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall take flack from both sides.
Unofficial UN motto (chapter 15)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,294,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible